E38 7 Series

Guest Mister Dabsy

Guest Mister Dabsy

Let me START with the AUTO Transmission... (I'll move on to the engines later...)

From 1995 the M52 straight-six was given a phenomenal, technologically advanced, tranny-box called Steptronic which has AGS (Adaptive Gearbox System) controlled by its own EGS module in VERY close partnership with the ECU... This unit actually gets the full potential out of the engine whilst still being able to protect it from abusively high revs, or Red-Lining. (Power coming @4-6k revs anyway)

Features include:

FOUR driving modes/programs - Extra Economy, Economy, Sport and Extra Sport.

Communication via the car's engine management, telling the box how hard the car is cornering and at what speed.

Also issuing signals to the ABS/Traction-Control (which can be left on, "half-on" or fully off). These monsters CAN actually deal with snow using Half-on FFS.

TBH you don't even know what program the box is using because it constantly changes with yer right foot !!

The next is roughly reproduced from the Gearbox literature (in my own words)...

TESTS-

Standing Start- Accelerate from standstill to about 55mph, accelerator almost floored (Before kickdown switch), release accelerator slowly and the box goes up a couple, upto 5th quickly (Economy). Repeat the same test but release the pedal quickly, this time the box will stay in 3rd because it knows we're slowing for a reason (Extra Economy).

Overtaking- Steady @50mph,slowly press accelerator not touching the kickdown, the box will gear down to maintain the momentum, try this again but press it down faster and she will go down two gears !!! If you hit the kickdown she will employ "Sport" automatically for a brief period !

Traffic- This is the cool part B)... The Stop/Go program is available when you either go over 62mph or rolling for about 3mins. Try this if you can't find a Jam (Unlikely), From a standstill, tickle the pedal (20%) up to 20mph, box chooses 1st and pull away... Stop again and repeat, the box now chooses 2nd for a smoother set off !! Go over 20% pedal and the box reverts to the start of this test, i.e. 1st !!

Hill Test- Find a downhill and go down it about 50mph (make sure there's eff all in front lol),Now slowly take yer foot off pedal, seems the car speed increases eh? Tap the brake once and the box will downshift and tell the engine to comply also... I tried this months back and it was scary how quick it works !!

THE GEAR SHIFT

Normal Position- Program options as above.

Sport- Throw the stick across and she is in Sport mode, the engine will find all the torque it has and deliver it to the back-end no matter what !! Turn off the ASC/T and you can have a heavy "Drifter" too lol... But, if you're confident with the box....

Semi Manual- Somewhat total control of the box, however, if you try to go down too many cogs then AGS says NO and picks the best with engine speed... Try this.... May only let you go down two.

Now try selecting thru the gears with the pedal beyond the Kickdown.... Impressive eh? Get me some tissue, quickly!!

Now the engine protection bit... This Gearbox WILL prevent engine damage due to red-lining, it is in-built !

To summarise, this is by far the best box (I fukkin hate paddle-shift). And NEVER forget that this monster is 2 ton, that is why Brembo's are standard :P

ENGINES Next ;)

Guest Mister Dabsy

ENGINES- E38

Wikipedia's listing for the E38 7 Series...

http://en.wikipedia....eries_%28E38%29

My opinions on the offered engines... Post '95 E38

M51- 2.5ltr, Introduced in 1995 and lasted the entire life of the E38 (six fukkin good years), but the diesel unit was more than moderately powerful and had to be tediously cared for, as can be said for all diesels really... Removing the EGR is beneficial to diesels in UK but became very problematic with BMW's due to ECU defaults... I hate it !!

M52- Straight six unit producing around 190 to 200 bhp in its standard guise and well capable of much more with aftermarket add-ons... This unit came in up to four disguises - 2ltr, 2.3, 2.5 and 2.8...

By far the best engine for economy and reliability as it has been quoted by many reputable critics as being "Bullet proof", and has been known to exceed 300k miles without major issues or rebuild... My Personal favourite BTW. Full Vanos as standard.

M62- Was employed throughout the E38 and E65 so it was a popular V8, 3.5-5.0ltr , but early incarnations had the dreaded Nikasil issue and were recalled - My least favourite unit !! Reason? Tolerances did struggle with the 90 degree head offset, wish they used a better crank/con setup too! Liners were improved, hence the recall... The 3.5 had not much more power than the straight-six and the 5.0 had short of 400 bhp, still had 2 tonne to push though. BTW these DO wheelspin (Just for you drifting geeks lol). Cons... Hard to setup if you ditch the standard air-boxes (2 of). High maintenance and obviously very thirsty ! Vanos only at inlets...

Will add to this later guys...

My 2.0Ltr M52 E39 = Head Gasket failure :( Sold it to a polish mechanic for 2grand on a 97 plate...

"Whats that noise?"

"Isnt it obvious? take a look.... see?"

"No...."

"Racing exhaust?!..... Cant you see it"

"Ahhh yeah! Very good. make noise like broooom!"

"Yes...."

Reality = Exhaust was blown at the Cat and I sprayed it silver.........

• 1 year later...

Not wanting to sound like a know it all or BM geek but my e34 had that AGS system too (pre e38). Also the Nikasil problem was with the M60 3 and 4 litre engines, but it is not that serious an issue if you manage it properly. Always use decent fuel, change oil regularly and wait for car to get out of blue on coolant guage before hoofing it. Mine has 150k on it compression is as good as new spec and emissions are CO2 0.0% +/-0.1 and HC<100. I do admit they can get bad but only if by poor maintainance you let it. Cheers good listing on functions of AGS though.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links