Excessive Oil Consumption ?

xxXxx

before purchasing the x5 read that some owners where experiencing excessive oil consumption, as I have owned several BMs before and never had any oil problems(never needed to top up between oil changes) did not worry to much about this.

Had the oil changed just after purchasing @ 102906 miles, by 104783 miles had used the remaining 2.5litres from the service plus an additional litre. Just got back from a round trip to Manchester Airport 544 miles and it has used another litre of oil. So the first 3.5 litres averages out at 1/2 litre to 288 miles mixed driving and the most recent litre averages out to 272 miles per litre motorway driving.

There is no obvious oil leaks and no oil on drivre or garage floor. Starting to worry that this could be the start of an engine issue not to mention at this rate I'm gonna be putting 5 litres of oil in every 5 to 6 months of normal usage.

I'm using Carlube 5w30 longlife fully synthetic oil from GSF. Anyone else experiencing oil consumption like this.

hi mate i havent lost any oil in six months.when i bought it i put one of those oil seal treatments about six weeks before i had major service.

six month down the line and about 1500 miles oil is still golden brown i ues castrol fully synthetic asda sell it dirt cheap

might be worth putting treatment in to freshen up seals not sure about leaving it in long time tho i always flush it out

hope this helps

NEVER USE PTFE "Mickey-Mouse" oils though :angry:

You know the brands I'm talking about ! Want me to name and shame?

HeHe You go Daz! :P

Piston rings fried? sucking in oil into the cylinders maybe. Just my two cents :rolleyes:

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Ok.... Or maybe I shouldn't becuase then it would be Libellous in that I named one particular brand, BUT let me enlighten you...

I once purchased a bottle of "Slick-50" (Just an example) which actually STATED that my engine will run MORE freely AND be more fuel efficient... It did not and soon after, it failed... The engine was in good order and wanted to make it last longer too !!

How can a product do this AFTER it has come from a manufacturerererererererer and NOT have it in already if it's so good ??!!

BULLSHIT !! Thats all it is... It is just an additive to thin the oil for cold-starts = BAD... AND it doesn't Effin "Stick" to the cylinder bores any more than any other oil LOL...

RANT EFFIN OVER !!! :angry:

never put anything in apart from good quality oil on a regular basis.. period.

I did once have a honda prelude that i never serviced for years.. one winter the oil froze and a big clump of it broke off and clogged the engine and the engine knocked... my uncle added an additive that broke all the sludge down which fixed the issue.

always fresh quality oil from that point

never put anything in apart from good quality oil on a regular basis.. period.

I did once have a honda prelude that i never serviced for years.. one winter the oil froze and a big clump of it broke off and clogged the engine and the engine knocked... my uncle added an additive that broke all the sludge down which fixed the issue.

always fresh quality oil from that point

Oil froze? ouch.... :mellow:

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links