X5 Relay Colours Etc.

Supermooser

Hey folks. I've narrowed down my non-starter problem to either the starter motor relay/starter motor. Does anyone know which/what colour/where the relay is for the starter motor? I will buy one to see if it resolves the problem before removing/testing the starter motor itself. There must be a way of finding out which relay does what?

Whilst I'm on the subject - does anyone happen to know where the starter motor is hidden within the X5?

Hey folks. I've narrowed down my non-starter problem to either the starter motor relay/starter motor. Does anyone know which/what colour/where the relay is for the starter motor? I will buy one to see if it resolves the problem before removing/testing the starter motor itself. There must be a way of finding out which relay does what?

Whilst I'm on the subject - does anyone happen to know where the starter motor is hidden within the X5?

welcome and hello btw

We have a couple of X5 Nuts on here and I'm sure they can help. Before you start yanking at coloured wires, how have you diagnosed it as a starter motor related issue?

Daz

Hi folks. Thanks for the welcome :D

Mine is the 4.4i V8 petrol.

Right, the background is this: My alternator seized, which we all know is water cooled! The alternator seizing led to the water pump blowing. The engine got so hot it blew a hole in the radiator. It worked out costing me a couple of thousand to repair the car to the extent that I could then discover if the head was warped etc. Luckily - it was ok.

This is the second expensive job I've had since owning it. It required a new/recon transmission just after I bought it which cost £2000-£3000. I love the 4.4 V8 very much indeed but I simply cannot afford any similar bills - so decided to sell it and get a slightly more manageable/affordable BMW.

Anyway, background done - After the last lot of work/parts, the car was in brilliant condition. I polished it up ready to sell and prepared the advert. Somehow though, the battery ran flat - I think my mother left a door open! Unfortunately after the battery was drained I went on holiday for 3 weeks.

When I returned I trickle/slow charged it over night and next day. Because of rain I left the extension lead/plug/charger unit under the bonnet and closed it. I put them on top of the main engine unit where there seems to be enough room for a caravan! I got in the car to check the battery level by turning the key. It seemed good so I checked if it'd turn over. I turned the ignition key and it started fine. Then I heard a sound under the bonnet that reminded me that i'd left the extension lead/plug/charger unit under the hood! I quickly turned of the ignition and went to remove the leads etc. After doing so I unplugged the trickle charger and went to try to start it again. The dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree as it had before when still connected to power. I turned the key anticipating it to start and...nothing! Almost as if I'd left it in drive or something. It didn't even try and tick over, or make that clicking sound it does when it's slightly short of battery.

Since then I've tried: jumping it with fat leads from a cherokee; testing the battery; replacing the BST (Battery Safety Terminal);... This took a couple of weeks going back and forth, and at this point I'd run out of ideas - so yesterday I had an auto electrician take a look.

The auto electrician eliminated quite a lot of possibilities like: immobilizer, key fob prob's etc. using a fault check computer etc. He actually managed to start the ignition on one occasion - then not again. As I said this would suggest a faulty part/relay rather than not working at all.

He thinks he has narrowed it down to one of the relays or the starter motor, specifically the starter motor relay/starter motor - but we could not find out which relay does what/colour etc. - or where the alternator is. I think it is behind/under the engine?!

One other point - When the the car would not start originally, and I checked the fuses - fuse 17 was blown. This is the fuse for the: Passenger comp./trunk lighting, & outside mirror and I have since replaced it. The reason I mention this is when I was trying to discover which relay does what on the internet last night, i noticed that one of the relays for the wiper blades (or something similar), is also the relay for the ECU. I wonder whether the previously blown fuse points to it being this relay that is damaged?!

Sorry for the long explanation but I'm hoping it will help diagnose the problem.

Thanks again for the welcome folks. Any suggestions more than welcome :rolleyes:

Did any bare wires from the house mains touch any metal on the engine?

Reason im asking is because, at work, we always discconect batterys in van/trucks before welding.

Forgeting to do so usually blows ecu's to bits.

Could be an ecu problem?

No, Thank YOU for the long explanation. It's all clear now so one of the X5 NutNuts can help!

Sounds like your having a hard time. My opinion is scrap it and buy an older car! HAHA but not alot of people listn to me when I say that, I'm no help am I? :lol:

Doesn't sound like a starter motor problem too me as you said, you guys managed to start it once but then it wouldn't after. Starter motors don't tend to have intermittent faults on a scale such as that one. Gav's got his thinking-condom on indeed!, Sounds like your ECU is a good starting point! (damn modern cars! Grrr)

Keep eyes pealed on this thread buddy, there's still a few grease monkeys on here who are yet to post their input! I do hope we can help

Daz B)

Thanks again folks. Ok right - I've just bought a fault code checker. I didn't realize they were so cheap!

Will the fault code checker tell me what the problem is exactly i.e exactly which terminal/part, or just the area of the car thats the problem? Also, will that tell me if there is a problem with the ECU, or will it just not work if there's a problem with the ECU?

I might try eliminating the starter by connecting it direct to the battery - thanks. I'll have to find the starter first :blink: - Thanks for the health and safety tip though Gav lol

Scrapping would be so easy! Probably not the best way to recoup a little value though haha - unless I'm wrong!?

Well hello again folks.

Unfortunately, another day wasted unsuccessfully fiddling with the X5!

The universal car fault code reader arrived today :D

It told me (after searching), that there are no faults presently stored on the cars computer! :o

Does this make sense/mean anything to anyone?! How can this be with my non starter problem!?

Can anyone help with this - there is one thing I can't find out to do with the solenoid.

There are three bolts on the solenoid. One has the fat red cable coming from the battery (+). Another has an exposed mesh cable which has a permanent connection seemingly running up to the starter. I cannot tell what the third bolt is without removing the starter/solenoid.

So...

Is the permanent exposed metal mesh cable connection that runs from the solenoid up toward the starter; an earth (-) cable connected to the bare metal exterior of the starter motor, OR; a live (+) cable running from the solenoid up to stat the starter motor???

Obviously a bit of a difference

I'm sensing another "Scatter-Gun" effect, Cameron :P

Haha :unsure: Sorry Dabsy. I thought I was being good by not starting a new topic lol!

Thanks for your help mate. Very much appreciated. I'm just going to paste a long post now as... the problem is resolved! :D

I'm going to paste the same thing on all three of my active threads/topics, just to warn you. Just in case anyone finds one of my threads but not another. :P

Yipeeeeeee - problem resolved!

Thank you everyone for your help. I’m so glad I can finally stop pestering you all lol.

I’ve been so encouraged by your help, and learnt so much about BM’s over the duration of this problem (6 weeks), and since owning it (2 years), – I will replace the X5 for another BM. I’d miss you guys to much otherwise haha!

Anyone who finds any of my threads/topics relating to the problems I’ve had on here with the X5, or any other X5/BMW problems - PLEASE feel free to ask if you think I can help.

I’ve probably learnt so much because I’ve tried to resolve as many of the long list of problems I’ve had with my X5 myself. Mostly to avoid large garage/mechanic bills. I have to say, having said/done that - my parts/mechanic bills etc have amounted to £4k+ over the last two years, or more. It’s also depreciated between 4-6k over the last two years. I suppose that means they can be bought very cheaply these days though. 60k car for about 6k – incredible!

Anyway, I’m not a mechanic/auto electrician/expert like a few other guys on here, but as I say, I’ve learnt a hell of a lot about the BMW X5 over the last 2 years. Especially as it’s 2001 and 100k+ miles. I’ve also found a lot of useful sites like BMW part number finders etc.

I found this site by searching for related key words on Google. I learnt a lot reading about other people’s problems - for which I am very grateful. For that reason I will explain what I discovered the problem to be here, and hopefully help someone else :rolleyes:

A while ago the alternator seized. This is a big problem for the X5 as it is a water-cooled alternator. Because the alternator seized, the water pump failed to function properly. I was driving on a motorway and I could not pull over! The car over heated to the extent that I blew a hole and leaked all my coolant fluid out of the radiator. The power steering then failed as well. Because I continued to drive, the car overheated to the extent that the engine head was likely to have warped, which would have pretty much written off the car/required new engine/etc. I needed replace/repair the car cooling system/damage caused, which included the: radiator; power steering pump; alternator; water pump; drive belt; etc, - to find out if the car was written off!

The reason I mention this is because I think this is the source of my recent non-start problem. I also have to say it would have been almost impossible for anyone to diagnose this recent problem without getting under the engine/behind the plate.

I had a garage replace the alternator, as it’s a nightmare to get to/replace. They have presumably removed the starter/solenoid to get to it. After replacing my alternator, they did not re-secure the starter/solenoid properly. The starter motor and solenoid are secured to the car with a few bolts, which also connect/earth the starter/solenoid, allowing it to work. Because the garage did not replace these bolts securely, there was no earth (-) connection, and the starter/solenoid could not work, or worked intermittently depending on the state of the connection at the time.

This is why connecting the live battery terminal directly to the various terminals on the solenoid/starter had no effect. At least there are no more parts to replace!

Amazing that a ‘professional’ mechanic re-installed the starter so poorly. I shall have words with the garage I think.

Anyway, there we go. Thanks again everyone :D

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links