Hi All Another Newbie Seeking Help Lol

dave24251

hi all ive just bought myself a nice wee 1996 316i coupe but when i went for a drive tonight it thought it was a kangaroo :unsure: lol but only in first gear anyone have any clue on what it could be lol any help greatly appreciated thanks

dave.the same gav above me changed my accelerator cable as mine was kangarooing all the time.before trying that though try spraying a bit of wd40 on the gas peddle and make sure your matt isnt in the way of it.

by the way the cable was 14 quid from sytners and providing you know a gav or can do it yourself it only takes 30 minutes

hth mate

hi all ive just bought myself a nice wee 1996 316i coupe but when i went for a drive tonight it thought it was a kangaroo :unsure: lol but only in first gear anyone have any clue on what it could be lol any help greatly appreciated thanks

Sticky throttle butterfly valve causes that sometimes (Ref: My Passat)

When she was in 1st it used to kangaroo un till I took the throttle body out and cleaned it. I also remember cleaning the TPS Thats also attached but, in theory all that can do is play shenanigans with the revs. Hmm where's Dabzy-spanner-boy when ya need him eh?

Don't need to be the sharpest tool in the shed so don't worry. Yours is only a 4pot petrol engine so it should be quite basic to look at. You should be able to identify a throttle body in there somewhere (The thing with the spinny thing that if you twist it, it revs the engine). In there is a butterfly valve that can get gunked up with all sorts of rubbish. If you can take the snorkel like plastic pipe that is attached to it (connecting to your air-box) off, You should be able to get a cloth in there after spraying it with some cleaner whilst opening the butterfly by hand on top.

thanks all for the help greatly appeciated ill try cleaning throtle body and stuff tomorrow and hopefully she will be runnin brand new again lol

Let us know the result mate...and don't forget to hit DazH's Green + if he was right wink.gif

Good luck

well had the throtle body off the car completely was a right mess so cleaned it all so it was nice and shiney but its still doin it been told it could be a clutch problem something to do with a mising tooth on a cog or summit but to be honest i have no clue what the guy was talkin about lol

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links