Gearchange Issues

Its the 3rd time its happened now i drive off average speed and then the car goes into neutral, and then after trying to select a gear it goes into 1st, but when i pull away it goes into neutral, and then the next time it goes into 1st i change it to 2nd and pull away, but it wont let me select 4th/5th, but after a few minutes in will let me use 1st again.

Ive put a more powerful battery in and ive change the FSR(nothing to do with it really), but in the haynes manual it says check the tranny oil but it doesnt say where.

What else could it be?.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Did you know, SSG is out of my league TBH - I don't like it much - should've left that system for the track, but still check the obvious suspects like ...

Engine/camshaft speed sensors etc, oil level and quality, cables at throttle body and maybe try to get a fault code...

But if a gearbox decides it doesn't want a particular gear, then it has either been told by the ECU, told by the driver or selector forks are worn (Mainly manual)...

Sorry I couldn't help you more !

No probs, you cant know everything but it would help.

Somebody has just told me they had the same problem, and it needed tranny oil top up, but i thought that it was a lifetime thing.

Not always, Andy... In an ideal world 'n all that...

Check it anyway mukka...

Im going to try and book it in for an oil level check and top up if needed tomorrow, if they can book me in but the will most likely put any old crap in.

I will let you know what happens.

Guest Mister Dabsy

No, Andy... You can check it yourself to save some coin...

There are plugs on the top, bottom and side...

The side one is the level - if you dont get a little seapage then its low... If you get seapage then it should be light brownish NOT BLACK.

The bottom is Drain - If you need to change...

The top (I think) is where the gasket could fail (weakspot).... Correction will come soon, eh?

DAZ

No, Andy... You can check it yourself to save some coin...

There are plugs on the top, bottom and side...

The side one is the level - if you dont get a little seapage then its low... If you get seapage then it should be light brownish NOT BLACK.

The bottom is Drain - If you need to change...

The top (I think) is where the gasket could fail (weakspot).... Correction will come soon, eh?

DAZ

I would like to do it myself but i dont have the time during the week, so hopefully the garage which is 400 yds from work can do it tomorrow because i need the car everyday.

The Bm is in a garage and there saying it might be the pump or the relay, so there changing the relay 1st so fingers crossed it's only the relay.

Where's the pump located because hes saying that it's £600 for a pump.

Guest Mister Dabsy

A fiver says they tell u its not the relay :angry:

40 quid an hour too? LOL

Wish I was there, Andy !!!

A fiver says they tell u its not the relay :angry:

40 quid an hour too? LOL

Wish I was there, Andy !!!

Well when they fit a new relay, i will see how it is and then if it still plays up i will have to think what to do next.

They said the gearbox oil was fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Car still in the garage, the boss phoned me this morning and said they put the new pump on last night and and put in new gearbox oil, and then this morning the noticed a leak from the bell housing, so i thought sod this im going down there, the boss is off today and i had a look under the car and the old pump was still on the car and all they have done was replace the relay, there dropping the box to look at the leak and the mechanic said it might be the bearings.

So what do i do now?.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links