Car Wont Start

After fixing my front window i was really chuffed, but i went to start the car this morning and it wouldnt start.

I have a 330 ci sport SMG, when i turn the key the engine clicks but but nothing and the headlight comes on?, and in the gear selection display on the speedo a round cog symbole appears.

In the haynes manual it says:

ENGINE WILL NOT START IN ANY GEAR, OR STARTS IN GEARS OTHER THAN PARK OR NEUTRAL,

Incorrect selector cable adjustment.

Any ideas.

Yes just battery I left my radio on for an hour the other day as I washed it.. Battery died have to jump start it, the clicking is a sort of safey feature so It won't cause no damaged hense the clicking (basically telling you no power to turn the engine) am I right dabsy?

Guest Mister Dabsy

We all agree that it could be your Battery starting to fail... But there could be other failures as your Starter motor could be giving up, the alternator too! I wouldn't suggest all at once... Could even be the starter relay...

For the sake of a few quid have them all tested, for peace of mind, at you local Auto-electrician.

If it is the alternator, just might need new contact brushes (cheaper than buying an alternator), same for starter. Could even just be the starter solenoid?

Do the lights dim when you try starting? If yes then Starter solenoid not working correctly...

DAZ

• 2 weeks later...

Coming home last night everything was fine until I stop at the lights, when I went to pull off the car went into neutral and I could change into 1st or reverse, and when it went into 1st and I put my foot down it went straight back into neutral.

But the 2nd time it went into 1st I used the paddle shift to put it into 2nd and off I went and then up into 3rd and it then wouldn't go into 4th, and when I got home I tried reverse and it engaged. Any ideas.

Also i moved my car off the drive and parked up, i went out to move it and it didnt start, so i got the AA to jump me and he did a battery test, which come back ok and he said that the alternator was charging it so the Alternator was fine.

Somebody told me that if the battery wasnt fully charged that it wouldnt work properly, but how would that affect an SSG semi auto box?.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links