320I E36 Mystery Noise..?

Jake E36

Hi there!

Recently purchased a 320i, was told the rear shock absorber needed replacing... after changing both sides, took her for a spin... still makes a strange noise! It sounds like a spring knocking, however after inspecting cannot see ANYTHING wrong with it..

Anyone got any ideas???

Jake

Hi Jake, I had a strange knocking noise too on my Golf. It turned out to be stones lodged in the suspension cups. Might be worth checking the springs you haven't yet changed.

Good luck!

Guest Mister Dabsy

Jack one rear wheel and listen as you wind her up, if it knocks or creaks then I would say anti-roll bar links/bushes... Just an idea.

Guest Mister Dabsy

I agree Gav, same principal really as drop links and anti-roll bars have bushes... So if the springs are ok then it is definately 100% bush or link problem.

And if they do need changing then I would spend an extra buck and use those poly nylon wotsits because they're more rigid.

Drop links are very cheap, dunno why because they are crucial suspension parts!!!

TBH I think my car needs new bushes because there is a very slight "shimmy" going over bumps !!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links