E70 Drivers door won't open inside or out

Well my E70 has decided to throw a wobbler and not allow me in or out of the drivers door. Just need to get my head around (1) How to get the door card off with the door closed 😁 (2) How to release the lock to get the door open 😁 (3) What caused it? Is it repairable? Or is it a new lock ?? 

That's my weekend sorted

Dave

Why oh Why do BMW do these things ??

Door Card. OK everything going OK remove drivers seat to give room to work. Open the window and start at the top to remove the door card only to discover that the BMW Wizards have used panel clips along the sides but at the bottom of the door used 2 x T20 screws in expanding plugs ??? They have become sacrificial and I will replace later

Now for the lock/actuator it's self, after a lot of searching I have found 3 methods (1) use a pry bar and hammer to clout the operating lever down wards (2) break the plastic shroud behind the operating lever and prize the exposed gearwheel up to release the double lock (3) as the lock body is plastic just break it up until the door is released 

What a palaver I cant see why they had to change the lock type from the E53 to the E70/71 certainly there will be no salvage or repair by the look of things. New actuator ordered so the story will go on

Dave

So little update for anyone suffering the same issue

The best way is the big pry bar rested on the internal opening lever and a few good whacks with a mallet. 3rd whack door popped open, Yay

New actuator due today so hopefully near the end

Dave 

Morning Steve

Welcome to the Forum

Received the new Actuator late yesterday and this morning been out side taking the old one off and swapping them 

The original actuator on my door has failed internally the double lock mechanism sticking and not allowing the internal or external handle to work or the physical key. If I operated the lock/unlock on the key or the dash I could here the internals work but the double lock just wouldn't release. As the unit is sealed in a plastic body repair is virtually impossible and pretty much pointless. As I would have to cut open the actuator to get to the internals so failure is mechanical all electrics OK is my guess

The replacement I have is Febi and a straight replacement, cost was £64. The door handle Bowden cable was very sticky with grease so I removed the outer handle and mechanism gave everything a good clean re-lube and put it all back

All working as it should again just have the job of cleaning all the trim and putting it back together now 😁

Hope This Helps

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links