Ticking / Clicking noise

alexbmw123

Hi all,

New member technical question, sorry!

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem with their BMW.

I had the dust cover kit replaced on the front shock absorber of my 435D (car is on 83,000 miles now) and the previous had perished/split.

Since collecting the car, it now makes a very annoying ticking/clicking sound (like the second hand going around a clock) when turning the steering wheel. More noticeable at low speeds when cornering, but happens at any speed… including when the vehicle is stationary.

The garage seem to think it’s the top mount strut kit / bearing that is worn out, but when I’ve had a look online at the YouTube videos and most of them seem to cover clunking/knocking noises, but this is definitely a ticking noise. 

Any ideas anyone please? 

Hi there. 
it could be a loose shock/ top mount/ but that sounds like a steering rack or very very dry track rod . 
get some Ed and spray the top of each suspension strut to see if the noise goes… its very noisy and would lead me to a steering issue. 

36 minutes ago, X5smw said:

Hi there. 
it could be a loose shock/ top mount/ but that sounds like a steering rack or very very dry track rod . 
get some Ed and spray the top of each suspension strut to see if the noise goes… its very noisy and would lead me to a steering issue. 

Hi there,

thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my problem.

I’ve done some more digging, specifically on the steering related troubleshooting… might it be the steering rack and pin bushing?

Steering rack bushings (a.k.a. rack and pinion bushings) dampen vibrations while making turns. Common symptoms of a bad steering rack bushing include clicking noises while steering, alignment issues, and steering wheel issues like shaking and excessive play.‘

The car is booked into my local dealership on Monday, and I’ve sent them a video of me turning the wheel and the clicking noise. Just trying to help them diagnose it before they get it and gauge the potential cost involved. Annoyingly, it only made this clicking noise since the indie garage has replaced the dust shoe kit on the shocks - probably should have not bothered.. 😒

Morning Alex

I hope it is under warranty (though as someone else has touched it the Dealership will duck responsibility) Also remember BMW do not repair anything they replace parts complete, get ready for a £2k min estimate 😁

If the original garage replaced the dust cover on the strut my guess is they didn't put it back correctly and some thing is out of alignment

Dave

Morning Dave, 

Thanks for your reply.

It isn’t under any warranty. It’s been problem free and I’ve had it for 6 years now.

BMW wanted £620 to do the dust cover kit, which is why I took it to an indie garage. They did say the parts only amounted to about £40 and the rest was labour…

What do you base the 2k minimum estimate on?

I have heard of Dealerships (and I know they can vary even within Groups) of Dealerships who are unhappy to touch anything that is "not BMW OEM Supply" and insist on replacing parts "to ensure it is correct"

Hope fully your Dealer is one of the good ones,   Replacing the struts and their fixings plus alignment 

Dave

Update - bmw have looked at the car. The issue/noise was the top mount. Wasn’t anything to do with the dust kit on the shocks, which was fitted correctly. The issue was all the parts didn’t go back together properly because of the age/condition of them. 1/2 labour to diagnose the noise/issue - £700 all in for both sides to be replaced. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links