Heavy Clutch on an E61 530D 2008 LCI model

paneuro

I have owned this car since November 2017 and the clutch has always been heavy since day one, so much so my wife refuses to drive it.  I have eventually decided to have a look at the pedal system after reading a few posts on you tube. I  have removed the under panel to reveal the pedals but can find nothing wrong that I can see or feel any play in the bushes. 

I have found a post in the USA where they can obtain an aftermarket clutch pedal with several settings for the over center helper spring.  Does anybody know of these pedals being manufactured for right hand drive cars. These adjustable pedals apparently make the pedal much lighter.  thanks Paneuro.

Hi Greydog , we have spoken before about other things. I kind of thought about that myself but did not think of looking at part numbers, Can you say if this is a common problem with the 6 cylinder cars with a manual gearbox. thanks Paneuro.

Hi Andrew

I have to say the last manual car I owned was a Lotus Carlton in the early 90's all ours have been Auto since 

With the Beemer's I have never heard of it before and I know a few with manual 3 series and a couple with 5 series I guess it is what we are used too? I have seen clutch issues but they have tended to be either in the hydraulics or the most common I have seen is sticking release bearings 4 of those

My wife won't drive my X5 says its to heavy on the steering, her Subaru is super light at parking speeds so that's her comparison 

Dave

Hi Dave, you could very well be right about the release bearing, but sticking for 7 years? The service history says the car had a new clutch fitted about a year prior to me buying the car at about 60,000 miles. I must admit I found the clutch heavy when I first bought the car but since I got used to it I don't notice it.  On the other hand I have had several experienced mechanics test drive the car for other reasons and most of them ask how I manage to drive it because of the heavy clutch. I suppose if its not broken I should not try to fix it but it just niggles me. cheers Paneuro.

Morning Andrew

I wonder if when the clutch was changed the return springs fitted were the correct ones? Not sure about your model but I know some had a compression spring assembly and some had a normal helper spring Maybe the clutch was changed because it was heavy? Just thinking out loud here as a clutch change wouldn't touch the pedal assembly may be something is seized in the peddle/return spring area 

Maybe worth looking at realoem for some indication or maybe if it is the compression spring assembly see if it can be serviced or replaced in case it's worth a look

Good luck Bud

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links