BMW F21

Steve77

Good afternoon all, I hope you all had a great Christmas.

I'm hoping for some advice.  I have a 118D Sport, F21 but my idrive does not have Sat nav or Bluetooth.  I’ve done some research as I don’t get why this would be, and having looked in the boot, I don’t have a Combox (I’ve seen these on YouTube).

my question is, can I simply upgrade the screen to one that has Apple CarPlay and problem solved?  I did originally just try swapping the head unit out but due to the Combox issue, it don’t change anything.

Thanks all.

Morning Steve

Seasons Greetings

I would treat yourself to an Android Head unit/screen it will give you everything your looking for Nav Bluetooth Android Auto and Carplay plus loads of other apps (if you use them). Fitting is really simple and Plug and Play plus you retain all the OEM CiC functions and you can switch between the two using the i-Drive controller 

I did it in my E70 a couple of hours work and the change is amazing and no programming which I bet a Combox will need if not fitted at build, plus is the loom there. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Greydog said:

Morning Steve

Seasons Greetings

I would treat yourself to an Android Head unit/screen it will give you everything your looking for Nav Bluetooth Android Auto and Carplay plus loads of other apps (if you use them). Fitting is really simple and Plug and Play plus you retain all the OEM CiC functions and you can switch between the two using the i-Drive controller 

I did it in my E70 a couple of hours work and the change is amazing and no programming which I bet a Combox will need if not fitted at build, plus is the loom there. 

Dave

Morning Steve

Seasons Greetings

Dave

Hi Dave

i think my original question was a bit misleading!

I was looking at replacing just the screen, so is that all I need to do?  Just replace the screen part and I’m good to go?  

They all seem to say Android (as you mentioned) but do I need a specific one for Apple or are they one and the same?

many thanks

steve

Morning Steve

I changed my screen because it was failing plus the navigation was out of date BMW dealer replacement price was in the spare body parts area 🤣

After some reading and research I brought an Erisin Android replacement unit from one of the well known Auction sites. There are several Videos on Youtube for fitting. I chose the Erisin unit as it had the latest Android software (Andoid 10 nearly 3 years ago) but it gave me (1) a 10.25" screen plus a more modern look. (2) The operating system allows a Choice of Navigation systems, Bluetooth, all the apps that you could think of plus Carplay (Apple) and Android Auto. To upgrade the operating system or apps all you need is access to a WIFI network most are free to download/upgrade though some need a subscription 

My phone is Android but my daughter who sometimes uses my car when she is visiting like you has Apple when she gets in the car she just connects to Carplay and is away 

The system works really well I have helped a couple of our sons friends with changing their units 1 series 3 series 5series and all are happy 2 of them are Apple fans.

Hope this helps

Dave

Morning Steve

I changed my screen because it was failing plus the navigation was out of date BMW dealer replacement price was in the spare body parts area 🤣

After some reading and research I brought an Erisin Android replacement unit from one of the well known Auction sites. There are several Videos on Youtube for fitting. I chose the Erisin unit as it had the latest Android software (Andoid 10 nearly 3 years ago) but it gave me (1) a 10.25" screen plus a more modern look. (2) The operating system allows a Choice of Navigation systems, Bluetooth, all the apps that you could think of plus Carplay (Apple) and Android Auto. To upgrade the operating system or apps all you need is access to a WIFI network most are free to download/upgrade though some need a subscription 

My phone is Android but my daughter who sometimes uses my car when she is visiting like you has Apple when she gets in the car she just connects to Carplay and is away 

The system works really well I have helped a couple of our sons friends with changing their units 1 series 3 series 5series and all are happy 2 of them are Apple fans.

Hope this helps

Dave

Morning Dave

That’s hugely helpful, thank you so much for your reply, it’s very much appreciated and makes perfect sense.

That’s what I’ll do, get myself a new screed/head unit.

Thanks again and hope you have a great new year.

kind regards

Steve

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links