Low mileage tyres Perishing

jenksy0198

Hi all, I do less than 4 K miles per annum in my E64. Love it. I am aware that with such low mileage though the newer tyre rubber compounds are more prone to perishing. This seems a bit of a pain when you are having to replace tyres that have not covered too much ground. Is there any thing I can do to reduce the perishing phenomena mentioned or just accept that I may need to replace tyres about each 12-16K miles i.e. 4 years. 

Morning Paul

I had not considered this before, the winter wheels for my E53 cover around 2k a year and are 4 years old I better check them. My wife's Subaru Outback covers a similar mileage to yourself it just (Oct) sailed through it's MOT with no comments/advisories, worth checking though 

That takes care of Sunday morning 😂

Dave

Yes, I was not aware of this until last two years. MOT garage I use showed me an article on change in tyre rubber compounds and greater risk of perishing as they get to 3 years old and beyond. I put 4 new boots on Apr 21 and having done 5K since then, I do know they are showing early signs of perishing - MOT advisory Nov 23 . Quality tyres to, Nexen

Certainly worth checking on any low mileage car 

Into the tyre store today where I keep the Winter wheel/tyre set (sounds better than the Shed at the end of the Garden 😅) I realised I still have the spare wheel/tyre for my very first X5 a 2002 car  17"with a Michelin tyre never used or carried as the car was fitted with LPG. It has just sat at the back of the shed. The tyre is still fully inflated and in perfect condition so it confirms the recent compound changes are designed for the benefit of the tyre companies not us.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave, I am quoting the MOT garage, when I say what I said. If the car fails the MOT because of said tyres what can I say. Whether or not there is a difference in number of cycles and /or exposure to weather I know not, but I had to replace 'visibly perished tyres'  that had done 4K miles otherwise it would have failed the MOT. It was only then I questioned why would that be the case, to with the answer was the compound changes.

Anyway , keep an eye is probably best advice and check before MOT for sure.    

Hi Paul

I talked with my MOT garage and got the same advice as you had, they said they were seeing tyres around 3 years old with visible signs of cracking in the sidewalls 

As you say all we can do is keep a close watch at MOT time

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links