Winter wheel and tyre size advice

Pibbow

Hi We have a 2017 x3 3.5 xdrive with 20 inch staggered wheels and tyres and I'm looking for a winter tyre setup. I would like to know if we can use 18's non staggered wheels and if so what tyre size would I need to get the correct rolling diameter so as not to upset the cars drive train? 

Thanks in advance P

Morning Peter

Welcome to the Forum

I run 18" wheels and tyres on my E53 4.6is the standard set up is 20" Staggered the winter wheels are a square set up running Vredstien Wintrac Extreme 255x55x18. 18" rims are the smallest that clear the brakes on the 4.6 and although we haven't had snow in the sunny South for about 10 years we go each year into Germany and France visiting friends and skiing so they get plenty of use this is the 3rd set of tyres in 14 years. I have just brought a used set of 18" winter wheels and tyres for the E70 from that well known Auction site a bargain as they cost less than a new set of tyres and will last us a couple of seasons.

You could check realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model then search the relevant section

Dave

Hi Dave thank you for your reply.

I'm looking at a set of cheap wheels probably on the same well known auction site and will get tyres once the wheels are purchased I was just a little concerned about buying something that has the wrong offset etc and therefore wasting money. You have answered my first question 18's will cleat the brakes etc. Would you know if 18's from say a 2007 to 14 model would fit? Oh and I also love Vredestien wintrac's been using them on my audi allroad for years .

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter

Just had a quick look at www.realoem Front wheels 8J x 20" ET 27 Tyres 245x45x20 Rear 9.5J x 20" ET 43  Tyres 275x40x20" if those are your sizes. If so then a set with 43 0ffset will fit front or rear, again realoem gives winter tyre size as 225x60x18" 104H or V

The only other thing to check is the spigot mounting on the hub BMW usefully changed the spigot size on the X5's so E53 wheels don't fit the E70 

I would check the size of the spigot/mounting lip on your car and get the vendor to check the diameter on the wheel just to be sure

Dave

Just read the add they are 17" wheels so may be to small to clear your brake calipers

Hi Dave 

Yes I realised they are 17's also! OK thank yiu so much for your help that us more than enough info for me to get it sorted. The car is 5x120 stud pattern is that what yiu mean by spigot size?

Really appreciate your help

Kind regards

Peter

Morning Peter

No the spigot is the lip on the cars hub that the wheel locates onto which matches the centre hole in the wheel (or should) As I said BMW in their wisdom decided to change the size when the model changed from E53 to E70 

Not sure if they did the same with the X3 as models changed E83 to F25 to GO1 The stud pattern PCD 120x5 remained the same across many models until the latest ones which I am told are different at 112x5

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links