3 series estate 2011

paneuro

Hi, I have my daughters 3 series here , possibly an e39 but not sure. Anyway it has the DPF light on and the only symptoms is after a fast run its putting out some blue smoke which very quickly clears up as soon as you take of again. I will know more tomorrow when I have had a right look at it . I only followed her for about 20 miles when she came to drop the car of. Any quick ideas. Paneuro.

Hi, I now have more info. the car is a 2011  BMW 318D LCI and has done 130,000 miles. 

I was on the OEM site and note that it appears to have a separate  dpi filter fitted just behind the catalytic converter? Would I be right in thinking that this part is consumable similar to say an oil filter or not. When you look at it in the parts diagram it seems like a filter on its own.  Anybody know? thanks Paneuro.

I have more info about the 3 series, its an E91  318D manual.  I took it for a fair run today, about 20 miles each way and it spewed out blue smoke twice for a few hundred yards once on the outward and once on the way home, after it happens it clears quickly and is fine. I am getting a signal on the dash which is a capital A circled by an arrow and on the right hand side of that is a heavy upside down exclamation mark if that makes sense. anybody know what that means? thanks paneuro.

Hi Andrew

Blue smoke is an indication that oils is getting into either the Exhaust or Inlet I would check carefully that the oil level is correct (has it been over filled) 

Next all of the hoses and vacuum lines around the Turbo and and Intercooler, then the inlet side particular attention to the EGR valve and EGR cooler

Last it could be Valve stem oils seals As far as I am aware there is an oil cooler arrangement and filter, I guess you have checked www.realoem.com

The symbol you describe could be the steering angle sensor is the steering heavy ? 

Dave

Hi Dave, nice to hear from you again. Firstly oil level was low (min), I will have a look at these hoses and vac lines. Am I looking for cracks, blockages, or what? I have lots of experience re valve stem oil seals and would rule that out for now. I have paid particular attention to when lifting of from high speed and then flooring it again and it is clear as a bell. The steering however is heavy compared to my 530D so would need to look at that. I will need advice re the hoses/ vac lines and steering angle sensor but I appreciate your help and it does make sense. thanks Paneuro.  P.S. I am waiting on a new crankcase breather.

Morning Andrew

Check www.realoem for hoses and routes would be my starting point 

As the steering feels heavier I would start there check for leaks if the system is conventional hydraulic, there is a breather hose that should draw vapour of into the inlet. If it has the sealed electric rack not sure if you can top those up, also it would not be a source of smoke.

Oil can be coming from a worn seals in the turbo or from the pollution control side 

Good luck with the investigation

Dave

Hi, the only thing that puzzles me is the fact that you can drive this car for 20 miles + and it is clear as a bell and then you can get a load of blue smoke for about 100 yards and then it goes back to behaving itself. there is no pattern to when its going to happen. ??? Paneuro

Hi, I fitted a new cap on the crank case breather and I have driven it for 2 days now and have tried to get it to smoke and it seems to have cured the problem!  I am wondering if it would be sensible to fit a complete new breather and is there an updated one. The steering rack would appear to be electric as there are no hydraulic pipes, nor is there a power steering pump or top up tank, what I do notice is there is at least 2 universal joints on the steering column which I will lubricate. I will keep you updated. thanks Paneuro.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links