What to look out for on a test drive - xDrive40d M Sport 5dr

jg_95_123

Currently drive a Range Rover Sport. The cost of the repairs, are quickly starting to become more than the value of the car.

I want another SUV, and have been considering the X5 for a while. I'm going to to test drive one on Tuesday:

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2012-BMW-...pe=1&pagepc0=1

I'm seeking advice, as I am concerned with the millage of the vehicle, and what I need to be looking out for when taking it for a test drive and what I need to make sure has been repaired/serviced at this millage.

Would anyone on here have any experience of running this car, or would be able to share some general advice etc before I consider purchasing this.

Thanks.

Morning Joshua

Welcome to the Forum

First I would check the History as much as you can check it's MOT history as well as the general things like service and repair history. MOT history tells you if advisories keep showing the owner didn't care that much only fixing things that were essential.

Make sure the engine is cold on start up there should be no odd rattles or noises or smoke a white water vapour is often seen if they have been standing but should clear quickly. While it is warming up check everything works as it should every button every switch AC OK. Then the drive it should be smooth again no rattles or clunks from the drive train or suspension, get it onto a Dual Carriageway or Motorway and give it some beans it should change up or kick down smoothly and go like stink, make sure manual mode is the same (Check the mirrors for any smoke) find a single carriageway road back to make sure the ride is smooth.

When checking the history look for evidence that the Gearbox has been serviced ZF recommend every 80 to 100k depending on use (might give a bit of bargaining power) The BMW straight 6 diesels are tough but need good servicing (I have never been a fan of extended service intervals so all my cars get annual oil changes) It is a big car so suspension bushes can take a beating and again I treat them as a service item and change them at around 100k (Range Rovers are no different) Tyres your new car will have a staggered set up (wider rear tyres) Tyres are critical wrong size or mis matched tyres can wreck a transfer case so check carefully and make sure they have plenty of tread they are not cheap so maybe another negotiating point

I am on my 3rd X5 first one was a 4.4 petrol 2002 vintage replaced by a 4.6is 2003 which I still have it has 165k on the clock and passed its MOT in March with no advisories (in store now as there are only 200 left) my daily drive is an E70 3.0d (same engine as yours just less turbo's) My brother inlaw runs BMW 5 series Touring as his business cars on his 5th one and all have run to around 200k with full BMW history (+ interim oil and filter changes) again same engine as the car your looking at 

Looks a nice car so enjoy your test drive I hope it works out

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links