Professional radio CD updates Bluetooth and DAB

Gordon Gordon

Morning Gordon

Welcome to the Forum

The fact that the head unit you have has those items handwritten on the back seems to me to indicate it has been replaced/repaired at some time so possibly isn't original to the car.

I would check a BMW VIN Decoder to see what Audio was fitted OEM it should show a code like S633A You can also check www.realoem.com its a BMW online parts list, put the last 7 digits of your Vin into the search box it will call up your model then search the Audio section it should show what was OEM double click the part number and it will give a list of alternative models and part numbers 

From memory the DAB unit was a separate unit if it isn't there that would explain no DAB, if I am correct you also need a DAB capable antenna. Same with Bluetooth check there is a bluetooth antenna. Also if the original Quadloc connector on the cars loom doesn't have the connections in it it won't see the function on the radio or be able to power it. Don't despair there are Pinout diagrams available for the Quadloc connector which will show what pins should be there and connected.

Dave

Many thanks for that detailed information Dave. The original is S663. Otherwise, I am afraid I was rather swamped by the array of numbers. I could see a kit for DAB, but nothing for Bluetooth. I noticed on the multi-pin connector 2 "blanking strips" in blue (see attached). Are these removable, and with these open the new unit to existing programs in the car?

photo0196.jpg

Hi Gordon 

If you look at the back of your Headunit you will see the connection pins which slide down each side of the blue strips (the larger block at the bottom

Looking at your Quadloc which comes from the cars loom again look at the radio and you have 2 sets of 12 pins above the main pins where the blue strips go. Yet your cars Quadloc only has 1 connector in that position I have a feeling that is why you have no DAB. That connector I believe links to the separate DAB unit

Also look at the back of your radio unit you see the main radio antenna (larger white connector) there are 3 other connectors I think the Mauve/Brown connector (I think that is the Bluetooth antenna) Green (I think could be DAB) Yellow (I think could be Nav) 

So a quick look at realoem shows your model headunit as part number 9143228 the unit you have is part number 9246503 

Bit more digging needed I think then you may need some additional loom extensions and DAB to get it working as you want it

Dave

• 8 months later...

I know this is an old thread but thought it would be useful to let people know I have managed to retrofit the same radio (9246503) into my 2009 E89 Z4. I used the E89 DAB antenna (9123995) which connects to the radio via a fakra cable. The 318 Touring would use a different antenna and amplifier on the right side rear window but you might be able to use a window antenna.

In terms of coding you might need to add 654 to the coding on the CAS and FRM modules to enable DAB if it isn't already enabled.

I hope that helps someone

Thanks,

Nick

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links