DBC, FTM & DSC malfunction

Emmo

Got warnings on dashboard today whilst driving 'DBC, FTM & DSC malfunction' and told me to drive moderately, however I have not experienced any under-performance of the car at all and braking seems normal. I understand these to be Dynamic Brake Control, Flat Tyre Monitor and Dynamic Stability Control, and assume whatever is wrong with the car affects all these three things at the same time? I have noticed of late that my steering wheel is not straight (about 11 o'clock) although the car is, and think I can hear the beginnings of a wheel bearing on the way out. These things might not be related to the dash warnings, I don't know. I now cannot reset the tyre pressure on the dash either. Any help / ideas most appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Morning Martin

First have you checked the tyre pressures if they are run flats they wont look flat? Have you checked tyre wear on the front? If the steering is Off Centre something is wrong, either damage (pot hole or kerb) or a tyre with low or no pressure dragging to one side. It could be a sticking caliper causing the drag which may have triggered the DBC/DSC fault 

What ever it is it needs investigating tyre/brake issues will not effect the engines performance but it's a bit daft being able to go quick if your likely to end up in a bush or a ditch

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for your quick response (as always, appreciated!). On your advice I will go and get the pressures checked and then the tracking to see if anything is untoward in that department, and then possibly a brake check to see if the callipers are free. I'll report back once I've done that.

Thanks again, Martin.

Further to the scenario Dave, I remember that the FTM tripped a good two minutes before the DBC and DSC fault came up on the dashboard. Driving today however, the whole situation had disappeared, no warnings, and I was able to activate the FTM. Speaking to a friend today who is also a BMW owner and quite knowledgable he said the DBC and DSC can be triggered when the small battery in the tyre valve is getting low and sometimes with the motion of the wheels this can right itself from time to time - what do you know about these batteries? My friend said they are to monitor the tyre pressures, I've never heard of them before and I can't say when I have new tyres fitted that the fitters have mentioned it either as I guess it's an excuse to charge more? My tyres by the way are conventional, not run flats. I intend anyway to get all the pressures and tracking checked on Monday as the steering wheel not being straight is a signal that something is out of true.

Thanks, Martin

Tyre pressure monitoring has been used on many BMW models and many other Marques since the 90's 

A lot of tyre fitters hate them as they can be easily damaged when removing a tyre from the rim. My 2003 X5 had them though they were always flaky so around the second tyre set they went in the bin and I coded out the warnings. Next service BMW helpful to the end turned them back on ??

If the steering wheel is off centre make sure you get 4 wheel alignment not just tracking

Dave