E87 Fuel Controller EKPM3

Newboy

Afternoon All

Its been a while since we posted an issue due to our car running great! However having parked overnight and go to start next morning it just turns over not firing. Traced fault as LPFP not running 

We have power to the EKPM3 but no output when requested

Codes 49B8 & 651B were present when ran diagnostics but at a loss as to how the Fuel Controller operates and where it receives its command signal

As a standalone the LPFP runs fine

Would anyone in the group be able to provide some advise or pointers of potential fault please

Kind Regards

Morning Terry

I take it by the diagnostics carried out that all the obvious have been checked, Fuel pump (tick) Power relay ? Engine bay fuses ? Fuel pump controller ?

My guess would be the fuel pump controller in the boot or under the rear seat depending on the model you have. A friend of one of our sons has a 120d and has had this issue twice.

Hope this helps

Dave

Evening Dave

Many thanks for the information - tried new controller but same symptoms 

Yes all fuses checked no issues there 

Other than the pump car appears normal - locks unlocks all symbols present on dash cranks but something is inhibiting the pump

Would you know how the immobiliser is configured on the E87 and if that could stop fuel supply?

Kind Regards

Terry

Morning 

You say the LPFP runs what pressure is it putting out (should be around 70psi) Also have the pressures been checked at the fuel rail?

If they are OK change the fuel pump relay and the main power relay. Get the car scanned using ISTA/INPA it will give much more information on individual control units.

Dave

• 2 years later...

Hello I have a 5 series 530d doing the very same thing did you ever solve this. Lpfp and control module both replaced and still won't send power to the fuel pump ekps is getting a live feed ok but not sending power to pump 

Morning Daryl

Welcome to the Forum

You say LPFP and Control Module have been changed ? With what ? Were the replacements new or second hand ? I did read a post sometime ago where issues were caused by the EKP unit over heating and rather than change the unit the owner fitted Heat Sinks 

It may be the controller is at fault

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I have replaced the lpfp with a brand new one and replaced the ekp twice even tested them in another car both working fine. When I switch ignition on the ekp will get power but not sending power to fuel pump to start if I cycle the ignition a couple of times sometime it will send power to fuel pump and start 

My guess is whatever tells the ekps to switch on and send a live feed to the pump isn't working when I switch ignition on. I have it all  bypassed with a normal 12v relay just so it will start but it is logging a fault on the display saying fuel pump fault 

Have you had a Diagnostic scan using a BMW capable scanner? Check the ignition switch and circuit. I take it the "Display" is the cars screen ? 

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links