Problems with door and sat nav

pdhart

Hi all, 2012 E70 40d. recent purchase.

I think there is something wrong with the drivers door handle. When I exit the vehicle and close the door it locks and then unlocks straight away. If I lock it via the remote when I'm a few feet from the vehicle and then walk towards it the door unlocks when I get close. Touching the door handle sensor for comfort access has no effect on the drivers door. However on the passenger side it seems to work correctly. I don't really need comfort access and would be happy to turn it off but I can't see an option for that in the menus. If not is it possible to disconnect the sensor on the drivers door without the car complaining of a fault?

Second problem. The sat nav never loads and I get a clicking noise from behind the dash, so I think the hard drive is on the way out. I have managed to get another hard drive with 2019 maps on it off of fleabay, however I believe it will need to be coded (FSC) to the car. There are other sellers with codes and map updates but I'm not sure of the exact process. Can someone whose done it tell me what will happen if I change the drive - do I lose the entire system/radio/cd/controller or just navigation, until I get a code. Will the new drive work at all? If it doesn't work whats the process to make it work - do I just enter a code from the car or does it need to be plugged into a laptop etc. What if I can't make it work - can I put the old drive back or is it a one way process.

Sorry for all the questions - new to the forum and X5. Any help appreciated.

thanks Paul.

Hi Paul

Technology is a wonderful thing, when it is  working

How to disable Comfort Access

What if your BMW has Comfort Access, but you aren't interested in using it? Well, BMW doesn't really give you the option to deactivate Comfort Access — not without having a third party make substantial modifications to your vehicle, at least.

The most common reservation people have about Comfort Access is around security. Smart key systems from all car manufacturers have been blamed for facilitating theft, letting criminals access your car without needing immediate physical access to your key.

To understand how it all works, it's necessary to understand how Comfort Access works. Basically, your BMW remote key fob broadcasts a low-power signal with an identification key, which can be read by your vehicle from up to 5ft away. If your BMW reads a fob broadcasting a valid identification key, the doors can be unlocked. To improve security, the identification key broadcast changes regularly in a way that is unpredictable without understanding the underlying encryption, making it effectively impossible to crack the system.

However, if a criminal can get close enough to your key to be within the 5ft range of the signal — for example, if you keep your fob near your front door — they may be able to use a signal amplification device to broadcast the identification key from your fob much further than the safe 5ft, potentially making it possible to unlock a vehicle parked on your driveway. The security built into Comfort Access is powerless to prevent this kind of abuse.

Some manufacturers, including BMW, have begun designing keys that shut off when left motionless, meaning a fob left on the side overnight won't be a security risk. Third-party companies also offer Faraday cases for fobs that block the signal, which can be left on permanently or only used as storage. With no signal coming from the fob, thieves won't be able to exploit your Comfort Access system, making it as safe and secure as a traditional key.

My brother inlaw had this after asking a similar question about his 5 series

"Sat Nav I thought was straight forward (well his is) just insert the maps on a pen drive in the glove box then enter the code and load

Dave

Thanks Greydog. So if I can't turn it off do you know if the lock has a switch in it for comfort access that can be disconnected? I think the car thinks I'm pressing it all the time. I suppose if not it's a new/secondhand handle mechanism.

Hi Paul

My X5 is so old comfort access was remote unlocking 😄

I would suspect the door handle is the culprit so yes a second hand or new handle maybe the answer. I would look at www.newtis.info it is a BMW technical information site (Dealers use this information) there may be some clues/help there.

If buying secondhand or new use www.realoem.com to make sure you have the correct part number so you know it will fit, put the last 7 digits of your Vin number in the search box it will bring up your model.

Good Luck

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links