Bmw 318i help!

Hi.

I have recently bought a very tidy 2012 318i performance edition (2.0L) petrol. Recently started having issues with a cylinder one misfire code. The car was idling rough, very jittery whilst driving and sometimes going into limp mode. At first the error would disappear after turning ignition off and on again but finally stuck on a few days later and went into limp mode. I swapped a coil over to check this and still had a cylinder one misfire so I then replaced the plug..... to no avail. I had a local mechanic take it away and he cleared the code and told me it WAS the coil. Had a few days trouble free and now the problem is back. Rough idle, jittery driving (esp in lower gears) and ecu light going on and off when it likes!  Has anyone ever experienced these issues and if so can you suggest what may be happening! Only recently got the car and could do without a colossal bill! 

Thanks  

Morning Carl 

I have read that spark plugs can be at the bottom of misfire issues. Apparently they need to be NGK or misfires occur, I would also check the loom to the coil pack for any damage or cracking. Can't think of much else (I am assuming compression etc is OK)

Dave

If it's covered in petrol then, either, 

There's too much fuel or not enough sparky, bang, bang; sounds like the name of a p*rn star. Or so I'm informed. 

If you moved the coil pack and no change, then like Grey Dog says you need to rule out faulty wiring to the coil. 

If this wiring is OK, I'm guessing you would need to check the resistance but I'm no electrician, then the injector would be my next approach. I'm also guessing that if it was over fueling to that extent it would noticeable in the sump. Has it got a dip stick, does it stink of petrol? 

Still thinking, yes it does hurt. 

Upt'North. 

Reading your post again, the new coil pack did something so I think it could well be the wiring to the coil. If he W, W, W, W, W, W, wiggled it Granville then he could have just W. W. W. W, wiggled it enough to make a connection. Now read it again doing an impression of Ronny Barker. 

Upt'North. 

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links