I need some advice off you knowledgeable guys. I want to change the factory fitted stereo that came in my E53. It's the one with the screen/sat nav/free view TV etc. I have been round a couple of places today checking prices to get a new screen (not decide on brand yet) fitted and I'm astounded at the prices being quoted. Autosounds was around 620 ish. This includes all the fixings cables installation dab aerial etc etc . I had not expected it's to be so expensive I was thinking somewhere around £300 Mark . I was even looking at the ones on eBay which are like a modern version of the one that's already in there but I've heard reports that some of them will not last a year and the DAB is absolutely awful . So can you guys give me any advice on models etc etc to bring the cost down a bit so that I get a nice screen with all the functions connected to the steering wheel controls and touchscreen etc. I'm not bothered about having a TV in the car but I would still like to have sat nav and maybe USB port and Bluetooth for callingand using Android

Morning Steve

When I had my 4.4 I replaced the standard set up for 2 reasons first the Nav unit was flaky and the TV was analogue so no signal. After a lot of research I went for Dynavin. There were many cheaper available but most came from China and had dubious or no back up. I also wanted to retain the OEM look

The Dynavin unit gave me excellent radio, Digital TV, Bluetooth, Nav etc etc and retained the OEM look. It did need the 5m extension lead running from the main radio quadloc connector in the boot but that is straight forward. Cost back then was about £500 from memory but I sold the OEM stuff on Ebay and recovered most of that. 

The new models I believe integrate with OEM DSP and retain the OBC functions 

• Thanks 1

@Greydog to be honest I'm not sure anybody would want the default system as it is analogue and on mine it has the squares on the screen as if some of the pixels are not working so I wouldn't have thought there would be that many people wanting them

• 8 months later...

Hi all, 

new to the group and need advise i have a bmw x5 2003 model 3.0d and it came with a standard stereo so i replaced it with an xtrons stereo with dvb tv etc, problem ove got is when i try to turn on the dvb it says warning watching video while driving is prohibited even though my handbrake is up and its in park any advise 

thanks

Morning Damian

That will please the kids!!! I don't have experience of Xtrons but I do recall a Clarion unit that had a wire that needed to be connected to the handbrake switch if it wasn't it showed the warning you have if it was earthed you could watch TV/DVD on the move.

Not that you would of course

Dave