Crankcase breather.

jon searle

Hi all,

just joined this forum after a purchase of a 530d m sport, its had a DPF delete and remap drives really well, long test drive etc,and I have just started to panic. it has intermittent smoking which it only started doing at the beginning of the drive home yesterday, and when I took it out this morning while the roads were clear.

any other time its fine its just putting me off driving it as I cant predict when its going to happen! during a sleepless night on google I read that the crankcase breathers sometime go faulty causing the problem and I cant find a receipt for one amongst the service paperwork. could it be due to the dpf delete? i'm not new to cars but this type of diesel is new to me so any advice to maybe stop me worrying would be greatly received!

2006 530d m sport

Thanks in advance

Welcome Jon

Have a look at www.realoem.com put the last 7 digits of your vin in the search box and you will have a list of parts and part numbers that you can then use when buying parts also look a www.newtis.com it is a BMW technical information/service information site (same as BMW Dealers use) That should give all the information you need to work through and sort your issue.

I am not a diesel driver but have a son who is (Toyota) is the smoke after idle? or at start up? With his he had a leaky injector and when hot and left to idle it would smoke like a chimney 

Dave

Hi Jon.....welcome to the Forums

As Dave has mentioned, it could be a leaky injector....a simple leak-back test is all that is required to check this out.

Other possibilities could be that it is down to different driving styles, by the sound of it you are a progressive driver who uses the revs quite liberally....which may be different to how the previous owner drove it (e.g. low revs high gears) which would lead to carbon build up and of which you are clearing out of the engine and exhaust.

I wouldn't worry about it unduly at the moment and see how it goes once its had time to clear out.

Keep us informed on how it all goes

Cheers,   Trevor

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links