320d Gearbox Failure

JonHolland4

Hi

I have a 2011, 320d and a couple of weeks ago it started jumping out of 1st gear. Looking online this seems to be a fairly common problem with this specific gearbox with the synchromesh collar wearing down - there are even repair kits on Ebay specifically for this problem.

I complained to BMW and took it to my local service centre for a diagnostic and they said it is an internal fault and requires a new gearbox. The car has only done 52,000 miles and has full BMW service history and it is unacceptable that a gearbox requires replacement after 52,000 miles. 

It is clearly a manufacturing fault but, unsurprisingly, BMW are not taking any responsibility saying that as it is out of the 3 year warrant and was bought privately (I've only had it 11 months and prior to that was bought approved used, 2 previous owners) they will not repair the gearbox. You can see their response in the email attached - they even admit it is a common fault but just not common enough for them to care about!

Has anyone else been in this situation and if so, have you been successful in getting BMW to carry out a repair? At the moment they're not budging, but I feel I have an extremely strong case and don't want to let this drop.

Thanks

Jon

BMW email.JPG

Hi Jon

Sorry to hear you've had issues only after 11 months of ownership.

It seems like a common fault with a lot of different makes and models nowadays, mainly due to how cars are driven with modern day traffic congestion where first and second gear are the most common gears in use and also the power surges transmitted through the transmission at low gears (harsh acceleration in 1st gear, power on and off).

I'm sure that's not how you drive it but unfortunately, it seems like the majority of younger drivers are that way and you may have inherited any previous abuse that may not be noticeable until some time later.

It seems the attitude of Driving Instructors is that it is 'gears to go and brakes to slow'...an absolutely ridiculous statement and one that leads to harsh acceleration and braking. This also leads to undue strain being applied to the clutch, gearbox and dual mass flywheels.

To summarise my ramblings, it may be a case of biting the bullet and getting another gearbox (reconditioned with modified parts) to rectify the fault. 

If BMW were to maybe supply you a clutch kit as a gesture of good will then that may take the sting out it slightly?

Keep us updated on how you get on with it all

Cheers  Trevor

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links