2009 E92 320D M Sport Coupe - Xenon Adaptive/Self-Levelling headlight issue

FA57 TAZ

Hi,

I have a E92 320D Coupe with the auto/self-levelling headlights when the car starts. Since we've had the cold weather they've stopped levelling when I turn the car on and then turn the lights on. I've done a Google search and seen that BMW's that have these types of lights have a level sensor on the back axle and either on the NSF or OSF A arm. I haven't been able to locate one and I've also seen that it may be controlled by a fuse, but the fuse diagram in my glovebox makes no mention of a sensor. The headlights turn on fine, they're just pointing downwards all the time. If anyone has any idea why this may have happened, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Please note: My car is bog standard, no modifications apart from a remap which was done some time ago. It has standard suspension and hasn't been lowered previously.

Thanks, Taz

Hi Taz

You are correct there are several BMW models which use the same sensor 3's 5's 7's all use it for headlamp leveling those with air suspension use them for suspension position/height.

If you go to www.realoem.com put in the last 7 digits of your Vin and you can check (1) where they are and (2) how many and the part numbers. They are quite simple and once coated in crud and salt it seems to be the joint on actuating arm which is the common failure point (well on an X5) 

I assume you have checked the fuses in case there is no power going to the motors that adjust the headlamps? Simple things first if they are OK then its under the car to check the sensors I have seen prices quoted from BMW dealers between £60 and £80 personally due to where the sensor is mounted it does get a hard life so second hand to me is a non starter as you never know what trouble you may be buying or how long it will last. 

Good Luck with the fix

Dave

Hi @Greydog

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't checked the fuses as on the fuse layout card it doesn't say there's a fuse running the motors, there's only 2-3 fuses running the headlights. Do you think it's worth replacing all the fuses for the headlights first?

I don't normally buy second hand parts, but if I need to replace the sensors, I'll go brand new as my headlights working is pretty important.

Thanks again

Hi Taz

I would check the power supply at the Headlamp motor connectors it would be unusual for both to fail, if no power try checking fuses 16 & 41 they are for the Light control module both should be 5 amp I believe. Also if the sensor looks intact (the operating arm) try giving it a dose of the magic WD40 it may be jammed