BMW 318i e46 crank shaft sensor fault/ not starting 30 miles after head gasket replacement

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could possibly shed some light on this nightmare I'm having with my car, the head gasket was replaced along with a head skim 30 miles ago the car was running great the excessive smoke gone and I was happy for about a week! been to the girlfriends house one night last week and after being stood for a few hours started up no problem, I reversed back to pull around a car parked in front of me and the car cut out and battery light illuminated, checked the battery and it was all good. the car would not start back up but was turning over and not knocking or anything, I had the car towed back to my house and a mate of mine brought his obd reader from work which showed up the fault inlet camshaft sensor fault so we swapped the two camshaft sensors around and the fault had moved to the other camshaft, I thought great I know what the problem is so bought a replacement camshaft sensor off ebay and fitted it tried to start and had no luck, plugged the obd reader back in and now it says both camshaft sensors are faulty. the AA man suggested maybe the timing chain had stretched, has anyone heard of a similar problem or can suggest anything to try? I've just forked out to have all the head gasket done and am currently fed up!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi Andy....welcome to the Forum

I think the AA man may be correct...timing chains do tend to jump....not enough to contact valves but enough to put it out of phase.

If this is the case, it's not too horrendous to get sorted with modified components so it doesn't happen again.

Let us know how you get on with it

Cheers   Trevor

Hi Trevor, Thanks for the help.

Do you know where I could buy the modified chain? 

Also will I have to buy another timing chain tensioner bolt as the one that is in has only done 30 miles and was almost £60 from bmw :( 

Thanks Again, Andy.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links