SELFLEVEL SUSP.INACT on X5 E53

Today, after spending a few hours cleaning our 2004 X5 I finally got around to fixing the intermittent brake light/rear light problem that is common on the X5, but which BMW aren't interested in.  I used the soldering technique to build up the contact point, the same technique I used on the other brake light a few years ago, and which seems to have fixed the issue.

While testing the lights by turning on the ignition and turning the light switch on/off and pressing the brake pedal, I noticed the SELFLEVEL SUSP.INACT message popped up on the dash as I was turning the ignition off.  I didn't think much of it at the time until my wife pointed out that the back of the car was very high in the air.  Got the manual out and read about the self leveling suspension, but no suggestions about what to do when it is set high.  I don't have a button to manually adjust the suspension, I assume this is an option, so there doesn't appear to be anything I can do to fix this thing!  I took it for a short run in the hope it would sort itself out.  The SELFLEVEL SUSP.INACT message is no longer displaying, so I assume the car isn't aware of an issue, however, nothing I do will cause the car to "self level" and it is incredibly bouncing to drive - uncomfortably so.  According to the manual "The suspension levels are adjusted manually by pressing the button (well we don't have one of these), or automatically at certain speeds".  I got upto 40 mph, but nothing changed and I dare not go any faster due to the car bouncing around.

This couldn't have happened at a worse time as we were planning to visit my son in Newcastle tomorrow; a 3 hour round trip and the following weekend we have a wedding in Milton Keynes; a 5 hour round trip.

Does anyone have any idea what might have caused this?  Is it likely to be an electrical or mechanical issue?  I ask, because today I used a snow foam lance and a power washer to clean the car - the first time I have done this.  There was a LOT of water being sprayed around!  Is it possible that the electrics for the self leveling suspension have been affected?

Thanks.

Don't panic the message is one of BMW & your X5's ways of testing your heart rate.

While you were working on your rear lights with the ignition on the battery voltage has dropped and triggered the warning, once the battery is fully charged the warning will clear.

Check how old your battery is and its condition if its 5 or older you could have a failing battery. Changed mine last year it was the original 11 years old !! but died quickly when it started to go.

Hi Greydog, thanks for the information.

The warning only appeared briefly while I was testing the lights - it hasn't displayed since.  I've been out in the car for a short run, in the hope it would "self level", but no luck.  The warning hasn't displayed since, so as far as the car is concerned it doesn't seem to think there is a problem.

I've checked the two fuses related to the self leveling system and they are fine.  I've just disconnected the battery and reconnected in the hope this would force a reset, but nothing, even after another short run.  There doesn't seem to be anything I can do (even jumping up and down in the boot!!!!).

I read on a couple of other forums, that a raised suspension like this just "sorts itself out".  Also one guy said after driving 20 miles it "self leveled". I'm not sure I would want to drive that distance with the rear so pumped up - it feels like it's about to take off every time I hit a bump.

I believe there are sensors that can be replaced, but also read that when these fail, the suspension drops, not raises, so I'm not convinced this is the issue.

Any other thoughts?

If you look on www.realoem.com enter the site put in the last 7 numbers of your Vin and then select "rear axel" then "self leveling suspension" you will see it has 2 level sensors under the car make sure they are free and the plug is connected a bit of contact cleaner wouldn't go amiss. Also in the boot is the suspension control unit again check and make sure its clean dry and connector seated correctly.

You can remove the fuses then release the air manually then tighten the connectors and replace the fuses to see if that cklears the problem.

Jet washes and modern car electrics don't mix very well so take care when cleaning particularly in the boot where the X5 has a lot of unprotected electrics.

Tonight I took the X5 for a run, in the hope the self leveling system might reset.  The first 7 miles were pretty uncomfortable with the car bouncing around like a bouncy thing! It then settled down while I was doing around 60 mph on a smooth back road, but then the SELFLEVEL SUSP.INACT message flashed up on the dashboad :sad:

I pulled over, turned off the engine and checked how the suspension looked.  It still looked high at the rear.  Turned the engine back on and continued.  At this point, the warning didn't re-appear and it was feeling pretty smooth again.  Joined the motorway for the route home and about half way got the warning message again, but by now it felt like the suspension was back to normal.  Took the next exit, pulled over and restarted.  No warning message.  Returned home on the bumpiest back roads I could find (about 4 miles). No warning message and everything felt okay.  Checked the levels when I got home and they are good again.

So, it looks like the self leveling system has reset itself, but I'm not sure if the warning message will return.  I have a 500 mile round trip to make this weekend with my family (equivalent of 5 adults + luggage).  Not sure I should risk this!!!

As a result of this issue, I noticed the X5 front tyres were badly worn on the inside edge, so had them replaced yesterday.  The Kwik Fit guy told me one of my C/V Boots was split and I should get it looked at, so promptly took it to the guy who maintains my car (Tony at InTune in Knaresborough - he's brilliant and trustworthy).  He warned me that it was so badly split, there wasn't much lubricant left and that a 500 mile journey would probably result in a damaged axle!

Funny how things work out.  If I hadn't had the self leveling issue last weekend I may not have noticed the tyre ware and had them replaced and so wouldn't have been aware of the C/B Boot issue, which could have resulted in an expensive/dangerous axle failure!

Thanks Kwik Fit.

From memory, this is the 2nd C/V Boot to fail on this car and I'm sure it won't be the last.  My mechanic told me he replaces a lot of these on X5's.  I (and my wife) have owned a number of cars and the X5 is the ONLY one that has ever needed the C/V Boots to be replaced.  I guess this is another poor design feature of the X5, just like the rear brake lights, the panoramic sunroof, the park distance control, the wing mirrors, the electric windows etc.  At least the engine seems to be sound, although I'm waiting for the Turbo to break any time soon!

You have tempted fate now !!!

Like you my wife and I have owned a large number cars over the years and it has surprised me how a "Premium" car maker like BMW can produce such a fragile car. I took it up with senior BMW manager who responded "well you have to expect wear and tear it is a 2 ton car" well so are many others that I have owned and none have needed the constant fettling X's seem to require.

Still the performance in the 4.6 is addictive if expensive luckily I can do a great deal myself (or by remote controlled son's)