Aux Belt Help Please

Sam528i

Hi all I own a

Bmw e39 530i

Now I only had it a couple of days but noticed an annoying chirping sound, it's not a really loud noise but it's annoying

Upon further looking I saw my belt was in this state

20140601_180750_zps71f8eec7.jpg

Can any one point me in direction of what part I need and a how to on changing said belt

Thanks

Guest DazH

Pick up a belt from Eurocarparts (I use continental belts). They're cheap enough, specify that your car has or does not have air con.

There is an obvious tensioner that you'll need to loosen then pop the new one on.

I would of imagined you've done one or two of these in your time Sam?

Daz

Pick up a belt from Eurocarparts (I use continental belts). They're cheap enough, specify that your car has or does not have air con.

There is an obvious tensioner that you'll need to loosen then pop the new one on.

I would of imagined you've done one or two of these in your time Sam?

Daz

Cheers mate I have some on order to collect Friday

Someone mentioned about needing a fan removal tool or can it be done without the removal tool ??

Done a fair few over the years but never on a bmw lol

Guest DazH

Fantastic question matey!

If your model has a "Viscous Fan" you will need to remove it to get your hands in there.

I have indeed removed them in the past without such special tool but... believe me... it's not fun at all.

Viscous fans seem to conform to two different size bolts. Both of these sizes can be bought in one tool in helfords, where I picked mine up. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_214258_langId_-1_categoryId_165469

That's do the job nicely but, you'll need to think about how to LOCK the fan as it will just move when you try to turn it. Thee are many many many methods for doing this including a special tool but.. there are also many many ingenious methods available online.

The method I tend to use is squeezing the heck out of the old belt with a pair of mole-grips. Once ya done that, spin it a few times and it's bound to get snagged on something like the waterpump housing. This IS NOT the proper method and probably not the wisest but, I do what I do to get by.

Some folk have been known to make their own tool from angle iron. Something similar to the pic below

twinhole.jpg

Honestly, a quick google will reveal a tone of ways. Ultimately, not the funnest job :rolleyes: you'll do it though

Daz

Guest jeffthro

Am I missing something, or is that old belt fitted incorrectly? Shouldn't those perished ribs be facing into the pulley, not showing on the outside?

Guest DazH

Am I missing something, or is that old belt fitted incorrectly? Shouldn't those perished ribs be facing into the pulley, not showing on the outside?

Fitted correctly mate. What you see in the focal point is the tensioner. The tensioner acts on the smooth side of the belt. The ribs are indeed facing inwards towards the components (crack balancer, water pump etc).

Guest jeffthro

Fitted correctly mate. What you see in the focal point is the tensioner. The tensioner acts on the smooth side of the belt. The ribs are indeed facing inwards towards the components (crack balancer, water pump etc).

Well there you go. I was missing something! :(

Dopey Old Git! Obviously lost touch now I don't do my own maintenance any more, things have changed since the 1980's!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links