E90 320I Engine Warning Light Stays On, Car Feels Fine

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been covered a hundred times, but couldn't find a specific thread to cover this

I've got a 2010 E90 320i with 27k on the clock, I was driving to work this morning and the engine warning light came on after about 5 miles (yellow, not flashing) the handbook suggests the car can be driven, but excessive useage can cause damage to the catalytic converter

The car feels fine to drive, no obvious loss of power etc, I've got about a month of warranty left on a 3rd party warranty provider so i'll contact them tonight, but I just want to know

a - is there a common cause for this

b - Would the car be ok to drive for 100 miles (I've got something on tomorrow)

Cheers

Well... if it's any help, I would still drive it that 100miles. But, the obvious proper advice is not to

That light literally means "PROBLEM" so it could be anything. If anyone was to state a "Common" problem, all that would really be is a guess.

Keep us posted on what it is once the ecu has been read by the garage

Daz

Thanks Daz,

I didn't think there was going to be one definitive answer.

I've read horror stories of coils then injectors then valvtronic motors needing relpaced (and still not fixing the problem), but until I get to the garage and get the diagnostics done, as you say, it'll just be guesswork

I'll post findings /error codes etc

Cheers

OK, quick update

Did a bit of searching on t'internet and read a post where someone had an issue when they got down to 1/4 tank (where mine was) the warning light came on, when they refuelled the warning light went off, so I gave that a go, tanked up and hey presto the warning light went off!

Anyone else had this issue?

• 1 year later...

Hi All

this same has happened to me, I haven't tried putting more fuel in yet but will do.

I did however get a friend to plug it in and it came up with the following codes:

30ea

2af4

2af2

2af6

few people have advised it may be due to the exhaust being changed and the CAT isn't exactly the same or something like that, and thererfore the sensors don't read properly or something along those lines

How did you get on with yours after this?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Its still worth getting the codes read. I had a similar issue. Light came on but no issue with the car. My code reader pointed to the Nitrogen Oxide Sensor. Emission's were fine so it was obviously only the sensor. I cleared the codes and it would do anything between 30 and 300 miles before coming on again after I kept clearing them.

As BMW wanted £450 to fit a new one I bought one second hand off a car that had only done 5000 miles for £145. Got local garage to fit it as I couldn't get enough clearance under the car to fit it myself and have not had the issue since.

Thanks Bruce

I will look into obtaining the above part which explains code Denox catalyst Sulpuric.

strange how when I refuelled fully it went the morning after, just filled up again and hopefully it may do the same.

do you think the part you suggested will cover the other 3 codes that came up which are below

2af4 - nitric oxide sensor electrically

2af2 - nitric oxide lambda

2af6 - nitric oxide lambda

Thanks again

Dan

The part will fix the 2af4, 2af2 and 2af6 issues. I didn't have the 30ae code. That looks like a new CAT. I don't know if a good quality fuel system cleaner and an Italian tune up may clear that.

• 4 years later...

Hi All,

I've got a 320d auto  2008, the EML light has been on for couple years now. It's serviced regular, no loss of power, no smoke out the back when accelerating, still goes really well and I've had bits and pieces done over the years.The garage clears the light but then it comes back on half mile down the road. This has been the Bain of my life. I look at it every day and just want to smash the dash lol. I've been told it's possibly the EGR which is very possible. Any thoughts anybody?

Morning Richard

Welcome to the Forum

1st. Change your garage simply clearing the light is quite frankly incompetent 

2nd. You need a diagnostic read of the car by someone with a BMW specific scanner so that the problem can be identified and fixed

If the issue were EGR related you would feel a drop in performance, it could be a combination of things combined with the EGR what ever it needs fixing

How has it gone through it's MOT with an EML showing?

Dave

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links