New Tyres All Round

westi

Websites for new tyres for my 116i sport quote 205/50R17 for front and 225/45R17 for rear. Mine from new has had 205/50R17 (Bridgestone) all round. Who is right. I've tried changing website tyre size for rears to 205's and it reverts back to 225's.

Big thanks if any ideas?

That makes sense. I'd never questioned the tyres on the car. New from a BMW dealer you'd expect all to be right. Anyway I will contact them and see what they say (and try to avoid the sales pitch for new tyres!)

the 330CI - a beauty

A big thanks, Paul.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Finally bought tyres through Asda. They have deal with Halfords fitting centres and gave a great discount (BMW £!!! **: National Tyres £722: Kwik Fit £650: Asda £543 fitted and balanced).

Fitter questioned that all tyres on car were 205/50R 17 and I had ordered 2x 205's and 2x 225/45R 17. He wouldn't fit till I had confirmed this OK - (he thought only high end spec models had the wider tyres on rear).

Phoned BMW dealer and they confirmed that 225/45R is preferred rear tyre and that they didn't specify tyres on original, new car. That was how it was sent to them from BMW!

So, driving experience is same as but if anything I'd say car turns in better. (That may be just because I've got new tyres and I know they are different at rear).

And yes, they were round - all round!!

lol

• 1 month later...

All BMWs have a staggered wheels setup from factory, which means wider wheels in the rear, to improve grip (as it's a rear-wheel drive car).

For 1ers, stock size for 17in alloys generally is:

- 205/50/17R (front) (7 inch rim)
- 225/45/17R (rear) (7.5 inch rim).

You can also use this neat table to see what other sizes to consider: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/tyre-size-for-rim-width_topic60146.html

I hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Matthew

Mine was factory fitted with 205's all round hence questioning from fitter when fitting new tyres. I can't explain why or can dealer. Just one of those things. Anyway car feels good with new 205's and 225's - as though these should have been there from start!

Cheers

Ian

It's weird that your 1er didn't come with staggered tyres, especially since you mentioned yours being a Sport version. I would be okay with a basic SE to come with 16in wheels and without a staggered setup.

The best way to be sure if your dealer hasn't screwed up the order (if you're the first owner of the car), is to see what RealOEM.com has to say about it, based on your car's VIN. Oh, and don't trust what online reg-based tyre matching tools tell you. Always check the VIN plate on the driver's door pillar.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links