316 51 Reg

doug123

I bought my bmw 1weeks ago n all was gd until today when I turned tge ignition on and the rev counter went right round to the red and back n then flicked up and down (bearing in mind this is before turning engine over) then wen I do start it the revs fluctuate for a wile and it cuts out then takes a wile turning over to start but doesnt do this all the time just sometimes ..... any ideas im so baffled .....

Guest Mr.Beemer

hello & welcome to the forum -

some electrical issue you got there. I'm guessing an open circuit or an earth issue.

best easy way to find the fault is diagnostic test. that will in your case have a fault code stored.

Not quite it did on the rev counter then when it started revs fluctuated been told its the throttle position sensor possibly

But today I turned ignition on and lights came on as usual then went one more click and nothing happens but lights stayed on took a few mins of trying then it worked has done this 3 times .... ..... what do u reckon positioning sensor and starter motor ......

Guest Mr.Beemer

on start up do you feel the engine miss beats/miss fire or is it just the rpm counter needle insecure?

with a throttle position sensor (tps) you will most likely get an engine warning light flash or stay on but like I said get a diagnostic test done as guessing would be the hardest way around it. :mellow:

Had the diagnostics done threw up cam position sensor would that answer any of my issues .......

Yes. Yes that would answer many many questions and accounts for quite a few variables.

I would not point fingers at the TPS...

Get that cam sensor changed out and go form there. Fingers and toes crossed, it's a quicky.

KEEP US POSTED!

Daz

Yer I mean logical its sounds right so ye mine r crossed to haha.

Ill keep u posted.

On the other hand my bmw being it the perthetic 105 bhp version wats the best things to do tuning wise to increase hp acceleration etc obv ecu remap but beem told only offers 10 hp at best ......

You could squeeze a bit more than 10 bhp through remapping providing it's done correctly but other than that, it is what it is.

Sell it and get a 330i? :D

Ye thats wat I thought guys onv didnt wanna o e do it bt would of liked a bit more but cant have it all aye haha would love a 330 or n m series ideally.

Just out of Intrest how difficult would it be to turbo one of these haha

Turbo charging isn't just bolted a turbo on the side, there is much more to it. If you're maths is off, you'll blow a nice mango-sized hole in your block! :o

You wouldn't spend all the money and time on forced induction to such a small engine unless you have a Honda Civic which in that case, you in the wrong forums holmes! haha :lol:

Daz

Hahaha ye don't fancy a civic stick with my bm I think ye I wouldn't go as far as all that id buy a another one instead haha but may do something with the exhaust system just so it sounds a slight better etc.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links