E90 335D Buying Advice

MaccyD

Hi guys

So, im looking at buying an E90 335D (as the title suggested) but am new to BMWs and to buying a newer car. Mr. Beemer has offered some advice in my new member thread and said i should be aware of:

DPF, 1st turbo actuator and gearbox filter.

Is it possible to check these things when looking at a car or is it something you just need to buy a car and replace them as a matter of course to prevent possible faults? Is there anything else i should be looking out for. or anything that goes at a particlar mileage?

For the spec level of the car are there any must have options? Id like to have one with satnav, is the unit pretty good or would i be better off buying a garmin or something? I was also wondering what the different is between the SE and sport models? Is there a major fundamental difference other than the body styling? Im looking at sport models because i prefer the look but a few crop up that are SE with sport bumpers. Im wondering what the difference would be.

And finally, what do people think of this?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/bmw/e90-3-series-05-11/335d-acs3-coupe/1964136?isexperiment=true

(an example of SE model with upgraded bodywork, hence wondering what the difference would be)

Thanks very much for your help

Guest Mr.Beemer

hello again George.

you can check the dpf miles remaining on the idrive if the car comes with one but that can be reset to 120k miles remaining without touching the dpf!

the turbo to check will be have to open the air pipe and move the actuator rod, if there's a lot of play then its wearing out but they tend to seize up more on the 335d models that I have come across.

the gearbox filter seal you will have to have it o a ramp with the under guard tray off to check but if leaking excessive you will see puddles on floor & notice late gear changes when driven hard.

many things you can't check on the day of buying but a lower miles beemer will be peace of mind.

the m-sport is the one to have if you like actually driving a car & looks much better too in my opinion, the ride is firm but can get hard for many people but ditching the run flats almost fixes the problem. oh & you don't get a spare wheel!

if your going to get a sat nav model its got to be the pro nav which is a lot better. there are many many other options but that's personal preference on what you want I guess.

for me the se is boring its why m-sport cost more. you get the body bumpers, alloys, sport suspension which sits approx. 15mm lower, sport steering, seats & main factor the sport gearbox.

the advertised se is a great looking car & superb spec. folding mirrors, memory seats, logic 7 sound are all big option extras which luckily I have on the 30d :P you cant get much faster than that on stock parts with 700nm torque but expect more wear & tear rapidly espesh the rear tyres..

I would say drive a se & m-sport then you will know what to go for but when an se example crops up like that it gets you thinking again - - <_<

Hey, i found it, i call dibs lol

Tyre wear isnt a big problem coming from V8 and welded diff im used to regular replacements, and same goes for a firm ride, im not sure id notice coming from my car, i certainly hope it wouldnt be worse!

For me its the gearbox i guess that would be an issue with higher mileage car, on my current car id just replace it but all the electronics and componentry makes me think it would be expensive to replace, along with the clutch. How long do these normally last for? Whats the change they made in 2008 that made the gearboxes better? Is it ok driving on these boxes day to day? Are there little quirks that make it a pain in the ##### and a reason to go manual? We had a 5 series with flappy paddle box as a pool car that i drove and that could be a pain at times.

Do these have a cambelt or cam chain? Is it a big deal when these cars tip over the 100k mark or are we talking reliable running until 160k?

This car does blur the lines between SE and M sport as obviously body and suspension are all already upgraded hence why i get a little confused haha.

(sorry for the interrogation)

Guest Mr.Beemer

rear tyres will be the usual frequent changes.

gearbox is lifetime oil..

engine has cam chain.

`````these engines are capable of over 300k if serviced by the book.

they are much reliable & stronger than S13, S14's buddy .

if maintained you rarely hardly can go wrong however if neglected then it can be doors to hell!

Just take your time and find a nice low mileage with a good service record, its like mr beemer sayin if you find a

Good1 you should have many miles of trouble free motoring. These engines are very reliable, a mate of mine sold

a 335d sport with 150k on clock n it was still runnin mint you could not tell the car had done that much mileage but

It just comes down to maintenance. Good luck finding a nice1 mate

Guest Mister Dabsy

Can't argue with any of the advice given above matey...

The Gearboxes are "Stated" as Lifetime, but thats only the life of the box and not the car !!! It is possible to prolong their life by servicing it like a standard one (after about 80-90k miles lol) ;)

Yeah i think if all goes well with the test drive of the ACS3 this weekend it will be going in for some preventative maintenance for peace of mind. Other than that its like any turbo i guess, always allow to warm up and cool down, regularly check the oil and regularly change the oil. Just want to make sure i dont get stung with a few k worth of issues immediately.

The thing is, with the price being a bit lower because of the miles its just a case of accepting that maybe 1 or 2k will be required at some point but thats probvably the same with any car these days. Not like my drift car where i can get another box for 200, fit myself and run it for a year until it goes again lol

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links