Vibration Above 65Mph

foster2108

Hi all. New to the forum. My step daughter has just got a 2004 Cooper bought by her dad. He's not much of a car guy or petrol head and has bought one with 89k miles and no service history at all. I've discovered that we get a vibration and rumbling noise once we go over 65mph. You can feel it through the steering wheel and the floor if you sit in the passenger seat. It's worse under exceleration and lessens when you come off the accelerator. Also had a similar vibration going around a round a bout. Under 65mph it doesn't do it at all even if you floor it. I thought wheel balance or buckle initially but as it goes away when you come off the accelerator it must be something else. It seems perfect driving around town. No noises at all. Any ideas what this could be? The second hand dealer he bought it from has given a 3 month warranty so it will be going back to get sorted, just would like to know what this could be in case it could be a sign of further issues to come.

Thanks, Chris

Something is definately out of balance, whether it be the drive-shafts, pulleys or even the crank !!

Does it vibrate at standstill with high revs?

Thanks for replying. No vibration if I rev the engine. Only comes in over 65-70mph with your foot on the accelerator. Come off the accelerator and the vibration goes. I've tried red lining it in each gear to 60 and its fine. Engine is smooth and no whine from the gearbox. It's a weird one.

Guest Mister Dabsy

Has to be the running gear - Driveshaft(s) or even disc(s)...

Would've suspected wheel balancing (still do TBH) but this usually kicks in around 55mph !

Is there and feedback from the brake pedal coming down from 70mph?

Has to be the running gear - Driveshaft(s) or even disc(s)...

Would've suspected wheel balancing (still do TBH) but this usually kicks in around 55mph !

Is there and feedback from the brake pedal coming down from 70mph?

No issues with the brakes at all

Guest Mister Dabsy

Right...

It doesn't vibrate when revved, stationary = Not engine

Wheels are balanced = Obviously not the wheels

No feedback when braking thru the vibration = Discs not warped

This leaves the drive-shafts, gearbox or differential !!!

Interesting that you mentioned "Also had a similar vibration going around a round a bout". That would indicate to me that it's most likely one of the driveshaft joints, probably outer. Does it do the same going in an anti-clockwise direction? If it doesn't then probably going to be the outer drivers side shaft joint. :)

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links