E92 Security

sjar76

Hi all. Oe week in to ownership of first BM, a mint 335i coupe. Having never paid much attention to recent BMs until I started researching my next purchase, I concentrated on Evo and that kind of site/mag. I therefore knew nothing of this key reprogramming theft epidemic! I am cacking it leaving her outside. Think I need to convert my living room with an up and over door.

Can't see much later than Sep last year on this topic. Did the 'upgrade' (recall) fix the issue?

Should i get a tracker?

Is it worth getting a disklok just to slow the f***ers down a few minutes?

Are people still fitting dummy OBD ports...?

Tested one at Birds And they didn't mention the issue. Presume i need to check with its home deal to see if the software fix has been done...

Until i upgrade my security i suspect it'll be a scary moment every morning when i check it's still there.

Unless anyone advises to the contrary will be going to Halfords tomorrow for a disklok...

Many many thanks guys

I have moved my OBD port and also placed a message on my windscreen mentioning the OBD port has been disabled.

A diskloc is a great deterrent if you live in a slightly dodgy area, or want peace of mind.

I already have a tracker but i dont think i have activated it.

Hi Simon.. I'm in the same boat as yourself. Recently bought a 330d M Sport (my first BMW) and then began reading all the online posts regarding thefts via the OBD port.

I immediately went out and bought a disklok. I know nothing is guaranteed to stop it being stolen, but it's another barrier in the way .. and a noisy one to get around at that! I've also been in touch with my local BMW dealership to find out if my car has had the software upgrade, which thankfully it had.

Have you checked if your ECU has been upgraded yet?

Thanks lads. My only worry with the obd is that Flux might get shirty if the worst did happen, or if damage was done trying to find the actual OBD. We know how tricky insurers can be. I guess it needs to be declared as a mod.

Don't live in a bad area but no garage and i think i will go for the disklok. Wll ned to fidle with it to avoid it marking the wheel, or so i've read...

Had a tracker in my Impreza for years, so may try to get a preferential rate from them. They were very quick to offer a discount when i last renewed and said i might not bother as i was changing vehicle.

Ys, sounds sensible for a £5 fix ( in parts at least). I have also fitted a disklok for peace of mind, and thecar's going ror its ECU fix in a few days.

Feel much less twitchy now. Made worse because the car has just impressed me so much; I already feel as attached to it as anything else i've driven.

I even bought a load of BMW cleaning products today. I want them to be like 'Clinique for Men' for cars, but I suspect they're more like Fairy Liquid in a fancy bottle. We shall see.

The main dealer's workshop looks like an operating theatre. is it wrong of me to be looking forward to first service time already?

It's a long way off, only got about 20k on the car and just serviced.

Off topic, but is there a 'WTT' section on here somewhere? Need to find an aluminium hating walnut lover.

Never tried any BMW cleaning products personally. I've always sworn by Meguiars but recently I used a new product that my mate had and I am completely sold. There a new company not sure where there based but I am converting as soon as I need new products :). http://www.kleenfreaks.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll look into them. I have had some limited experience of Dodo products, which I liked (bought some at Goodwood), but like you until recently I always used Megs on my Impreza - my favourites were the clay bar, speed detailer and glass cleaner, which smells lovely - and the all metal polish for stainless trim & wheels. Didn't like the scratch remover much, though I did sometimes use it sparingly for baked on fly-grot on my wing mirrors. I switched to Autoglym after watching a demo at Top Gear live and really liked the shampoo and super resin polish and the clear finish coat, can't remember what that's called but it always gave a deep, milky shine to my paintwork. People actually complimented it as they walked by.

I suspect the BMW stuff will turn out to be a bit cobblers - I think I was just carried away, surrounded by all that expensive grey/brushed metal merchandise.

Yeh I used to use Autoglym when I got my first car, it is a really easy product to use but find personally that the finishes weren't quite as good as others if you know what your doing. I have both Dodo and Megs clay bars can't say I notice a difference between the two. Megs metal polish is amazing!!! If you do look into getting the Kleen Freaks like myself I recommend looking into the snow foam kit and shampoo. That's what I used at my mates and it's awesome.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links