Possible New Owner.

Benj

Hi all.

I have been looking at upgrading to a small 1 Series as my next car, I am a young driver so the 116i SE is the only thing that is affordable for me at the minute and will be my first BMW. But there are a few things I want to clear up first and basically just newbie questions that I have.

Firstly, I have spent my first few years modifying the visuals of cars as I have never had anything bigger than a 1.2. My question is; what power gains can be achieved on the 1.6? and what would people recommend as a good starting point when it comes to engine mods.

Secondly, is there a set of coilovers that are supreme to others? what do people recommend. I know you get what you pay for with these things but if I said I was going for maximum lows with some sort of comfort im sure someone can point me in the right direction?

Thirdly, can anyone hook me up with some links to websites where I can browse aftermarket and OEM parts. I want to see what goodies I can get myself!

hope someone can help me out! Sure I will be back in the near future with more questions :P

thanks guys!

Hey mate, happy to hear you're coming over the BMW :)

the 116i is not the fastest motor in the world but does benifit from all the modern pros like being smooth and not sounding like a damn sewing machine like most of the older 1.6 lumps out there. Without spending alot of money, there isn't alot you can really do. You could fit a nice air filter upgrade (panel or cone) and if you're feeling right fruity, you could get someone in the know to have a look at that ECU maybe? Apart from that, not alot. The 116i isn't built for that kinda jazz. The 118i is a 2 litre so you get much more bang for your buck like. You would open the wallet wider for that kind of engine.

Coilovers? There's a fella on here where that sort of shenanigans is right up his alley. Some may say, too far :rolleyes: He'll be along shortly.

OEM stuff, EuroCarParts. For more exotic tasteful things, Ebay and Google! hahaha

Hope this helps,

Daz

Thanks for the reply :)

Unfortunately the 1.6 is all I can afford insurance wise. But I'm sure anything feels quicker than my last 1.2 haha! More than power I'm wanting just a nice sound. How do people rate induction kits on the 1.6? I was thinking as a start, an induction + custom powerflow backbox to make it sound a bit more beefy. But will the induction cause my engine to drain fuel and ive also heard In some cases decrease power output?

I'm very much into slammed/stanced cars. And stuck trying to make the decision between a good set of coilovers or airride.

Induction kits are just upgraded air filters. Cones or Panels. You have heard incorrectly on both occasions. Upgraded air filters improve fuel consumption allowing the bang to be better fed and suppliing more air to your car can only effect performance if it causes the engine to run lean. It won't cause the engine to run lean. Modern day fuel injection systems matey ^_^

Yes, back box is a nice idea. Nothing silly, just... suttle. Should be nice.

Slam it with coil overs.

If you can afford AirRide set up, you can afford to insure a 118i. Simple

Daz

On my last car, people stayed clear of induction kits due to them suckling in hot air or something I never really did much research just bits and bobs I had heard. But thanks for letting me know :)

And yeah I'm not after anything chavvy and over the top just something that gives a bit of a rumble! Will most likely use powerflow as I have used them in the past and you can literally pick what sound you want from a selection they have :)

And the air ride will only cost me the same as a good set of coilovers. As I already have all the kit I would just need to buy some new struts that fit the bmw. But i just can't decide as coilovers and bags both have pros and cons.

Induction kit won't suck in hot air unless it's yammed right up close to your exhaust manifold which, it won't be. Tests have shown that the air temperature in the engine bay has no effect on the performance of the the motor or if it does, it is so small you will never notice it. The Pros weigh out the Cons when it comes to performance air filters. I fully advise them.

I have used PowerFlow before. I like.

Coilovers Vs. Bagged. Many opinions out there. Static coilover set up seems to be more respected. I think it gains more respect as you're living with the life style, not just turning it off when you want. Although, I'm not sure I agree with that as each to their own like

Hope this helps

Daz

If you can afford bags go bags..

As for static, if your going for the lowest of low, a nice cheap eBay setthatwillletyou drop 100 mm...as performance will be outthewindow anyway..trust me ;-)

Had so much grief being on airride before and it's very expensive to maintain. Coilovers are much better in the sense not much can go wrong with them! So that option is looking more appealing at the minute.

If I said I wanted coils with adjustable damper options what would people recommend then? As being able to switch it up to a stiffer setup will mean on show weekends I can run a nice close fitment without bouncing around and ruining my wheels + arches.

• 2 weeks later...

If you’re looking for an affordable set of sport dampers, look for Bilstein B6 or B6 Adjustible 10: http://www.bilstein.de/en/products/high-performance-shock-absorbers/bilstein-b6-adjustible-10/.

For adjustable dampers or a full coilover kit, you have to fork out the dough; the cheapest (single) B6 A10 damper I found was around £280 online.

As for coilovers alone, Bilstein PSS series comes to mind, but it starts at around £580 per kit.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links