Ok so, I need to change my subframe bushes, the centre aluminium part is
detatched completely from the outer metal sleeve. I got the centre bit out. But I cannot for the life of me get the metal sleeve out. I tried cutting it out with a hacksaw but it's just too small for the saw to get inside it, I tried wedging a screwdriver in to try and pry it down but it just snaps the end of the screwdriver off. Has anyone got any suggestions at all for how I can get that metal sleeve out of the subframe please? Thanks. Jay

They are pressed in with a hydraulic press. You will need a press to remove them and put them back in!

The tool used is this:

DSC01121.jpg

Doing it without something like this is pretty damn impossible bud. You could try heating it up but still.... nah. Need it pressed in and out

Daz

No wonder I couldn't do it!! You actually bought one of those? Aren't they like £100+? I don't wanna pay that much >.< That's almost more than what the car is worth haha ^^ Thanks mate.

I don't own one but yeah, I do have odd tools like, I have 3 different types of valve-spring compressors lol

Take the motor to the garage, get them to pop the bushes in for you

Daz

I can't with no tax or mot, and only half a bush on the NSR :( I bought a small hack saw yesterday. I'm just gonna try and cut it out, getting the new one in shouldn't be too difficult I don't think, plently of lube and a g clamp nd I should be golden.

I can't with no tax or mot, and only half a bush on the NSR :( I bought a small hack saw yesterday. I'm just gonna try and cut it out, getting the new one in shouldn't be too difficult I don't think, plently of lube and a g clamp nd I should be golden.

Hmmm.... Don't think you'll be able to cut it out with a hack saw or be able to put the new one in with a G-clamp....

Do what you think is best and I/we are here for any further help

Daz

£100+ for a universal one, £200+ for a bmw one.

I busted my ankle so I won't be doing anything for a little while.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Saw your manky foot on faceache¬! hahaha :lol:

You dont hold spanners with your feet

While that is true my friend, I can't put pressure on the pedals to move the car off of my driveway. :) And nobody else around me is capable/trustworthy enough to do it for me. But it's getting better now, so I shall have at it maybe tomorrow or tuesday if the weather is ok.

I've done this with the only special tool being a £10 blowtorch, heat it up, stick a big socket underneath the bush, stand on the beam and out it pops!

This is the proper way

I was trying to avoid taking it off the car as much as I can, I know you told me how to do it and I remember everything you said, I guarantee that I will ##### up the re-assembly.

But I'm being proper lazy now, and I really cba to do it at all. Debating wether or not to just get rid of it in favor of something else.. But I'll never in a million years get back the money I put into it. ##### cars. I give up with them.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links