Bit Of Advise Please.

jonmcghee

Hi all,

Had a look through the fourm and can not seem to find any info (lol could just be me). Have a couple of bugs with the BM first off have no central locking at, can not seem to find anything saying it did or did not come with it? and secondly have no fob/key what ever it is to go with alarm.

Question is does central locking only work off key/fob in conjuction with alarm or does it work with the key in door also?

and is the dealers the best place to go for replacement?

Thought i better ask you all in the know before i start taking of door pannels to start tracing central locking wiring.

316i 1993 saloon.

Thanks all.

Guest Mister Dabsy

The alarm/immobiliser will only work with a Fob. Buy one and follow activating instructions (many on this forum).

Ring local BMW dealer with your VIN number and they'll tell you instantly if yours should have an alarm/immobiliser ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all back again (run away.... :blink: ), droped in to see bmw delalers today and the model i have does not have a alarm fob it has a chip built into the key wich acts as imobliser and works when turning into ignition. BMW EWS System.

But forgot to as about central locking Doh.... so reading haynes manual it talkes about an arming system that works when you lock the doors and after digging around found that all this is running through a ZKE IV unit. This seems to run everything elec windows, central locking, sunroof.

As all cental locking and alarm is dead i just wonder if there is a problem with this unit and if so is it coded to the car or is it easy to interchange?

Guest Mister Dabsy

Look for the "Comfort Relay" this could be at fault, or even the connection to the drivers door actuator which controls other doors thru module !

• 2 weeks later...

Ran the bm up the garage the other day to sort out for the mot and on the way up it ilt like i was drifting going over some bumps :blink: So after reading the write up at the start which is great, it mentioned that could be good chance it would be swing arm bushes. So ordered a pair and fitted them yesterday. What a mess the old ones where in most of the outer casting was coroded away :huh: .

so just waiting on springs (one snaped) and get her moted then start sorting out central locking.

springs done !Removed! wipers now.........

replacement arived today fit it now and hopfully that will it be ready for mot next week. All underside rust killed, exhaust all sprayed with heat proof paint, all had a fresh coat of underseal so looking good underneath now.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links