2000 E38 728I - Suspension Overhaul

d_a_n1979

After changing the front & rear upper arms and front droplinks; the rear suspension was looking like it could do with changing!

Had a look round for aftermarket set-ups and thought I'd decided to go down the Bilsten shocks and Eibach springs option BUT decided to stick with OEM spec for now as I dont want to compromise the ride quality!

A little update:

Decided just to stick with OEM spec suspension; TBH I dont want to compromise the ride quality of the 7 and if/when we have passengers I dont want to run the risk of it grounding out anywhere etc...

Been forced to do the rear suspension ASAP as the NS rear coil spring has snapped in the spring seat (noticed it on Thursday just gone). Gone for Boge shocks and KYB springs from General Traffic. Great service and everything arrived yesterday after being ordered Friday afternoon! £250 inc vat all in for both sides; cant complain at those prices!

Just took the inside of the rear of the car apart; took me 30mins using this guide: http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/590961

Just need to take the car to my pals garage on Tuesday AM to get the shocks swapped across. Would have a bash myself but already know that the bolts at the bottom of the shock are more or less seized so will leave it to my pal who has got all the necessary tools to get them undone. Shouldnt take more than an hour fingers crossed :)

Will get the fronts done soon but not as urgent as the front shocks/springs looks to be in very good condition (suspicious feeling that they may have been changed once already)!

Will update with pics Tuesday sometime :D

Update:

Old shocks off; new ones on :D

Feels so much better now; even before the rear NS spring snapped a few days back!

This was the offending article:

IMAG0062_zps954303a0.jpg

IMAG0063_zps929d6be9.jpg

Ended up having to cut the shock off the bush at the bottom and heat the joint till it glowed red and then forcably twist the socket out of the bottom strut as it'd seized in there good and proper:

IMAG0064_zpsc54da8f4.jpg

New shocks together and ready to go on:

IMAG0065_zps4cae2e26.jpg

Took 3 hours at my pals garage to get them both done; what a nightmare!

Cars back in one piece though now; took 10mins to get the interior back together. Just needs a good wash now... Oh and the alloys to be refurbed (in a week or so) and for a few tiny patches of the dreaded rust appearing which will be sorted in around 3-4 weeks!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links