Buying A 330 Ci Convertible

gt6man42

Hi all

Just joined the site, found lots of great info on the E46

I'm looking at purchasing in the next few months a 330 convertible.

I just wanted to confirm a few things if I may and apologise if they have been asked before.

Will the rear seats take 2 toddler booster seats I have a 3 and a 1year old. Will a stroller buggy fit in the boot.

I'm looking at spending no more than 5k on the car. As such I was looking at 2000-2002 models. I've seen a few ar that price with about 90k on the clock with full service history. Is the BMW sat nav worth getting.

Can someone tell me ved road tax prices for this age and engine size as I can't seem to find any formal answers..

Cheers for your help

Mat

Hello Mat, and welcome to BMWOC :)

I'm going to move this thread to the newbie area.

The 330 E46 is a lovely car and the Vert version is personally my favorite convertible you can get.

The back seats should take 2 booster seats without an issue as far as I am aware. There really is no reason it wouldn't be able to as they are reasonable size. As for the stroller, it really depends on the size of the stroller as the boot accommodates most of the folding hood and often houses a sub for the harmon kardon sound system that is popular in that model. You will have to test this before you dedicate to a purchase. The Satnav is totally up to your personal preference. It does work :) The TV will most likely need to be converted over to digital as the analouge tuner will no longer work if the current owner has not bothered. BMW will sort that out for you.

The engine in her is a 3.0 Ltr straight six power-plant known as the M54B30 engine. It is similar to the engine you will find in the E46 M3 (Minus 0.2 ltr displacement and the obvious ITB set up). As for Road Tax, Gav will know this as he has one. Gav will see this thread a bit later.

IMO the things you need to look out for on this car are;

- The hood. They are expensive to put right if there is a fault. If there is any damage to the stitching or the rear view glass, the entire hood will need replacing.

- Keep your ears open for any knocking at the top, front of the engine. That will indicate a Vanos-fault which can be pricey to put right

- Overheating. These cars are usually given a good seeing to by the previous owner due to their large disposable power output. Only buy if you can start from cold and witness her heat up yourself.

- Suspension. BMWs of this age will inevitable need bushes changing at this point in their life so look through it's history/ask owner for details.

Hope this helps. Keep in contact with us!

Daz

Daz,

Thanks ever so much for the information, Im in the process of leaving the classic car scene (i currently own a 1966 GT6) lovely car but not suitable for taking the family out, so its time for a change.

What is the VANOS (Is this the valve train) im guessing if there is lots of top end rattlle one should walk away....

Once my GT6 is sold I will start looking at the local dealers, as i think this will be the safest option as i will no doubt get some form of Warrenty!!

Ta

Mat

Yes, VANOS is BMW's variable valve timing tech. The M54 engine (In the 330Ci) has double VANOS therefore controls both the intake and exhaust cams position. VANOS is Great! but you don't really want it going wrong..

VANOS has it's own oil supply so it it is ever starved of lubrication or the seals fail, it will rattle. A failed VANOS doesn't really mess with the performance in my experience but it sounds awful and only gets worse.

BMW-M52-engine-Double-Vanos.jpg

If I had a GT6, I wouldn't be selling her. I would be putting Her into a massive car condom and storing her away :D Beautiful car....

Daz

You arnt the first person to suggest doing that, but hey whats the point in owing a car you never drive...

Lovely car though i agree...

Hmmmm I would just want to mount it on my living room wall and stare at it lol I'm a sucker for anything old :rolleyes:

You do what you have to do bud

Daz

Hi Gav,

Thanks for the Info.

Is it £300 for Post 2001 330 Convertibles and the lesser price for the pre 2001 (I know the tax changed around that year).

Also is the tax the same regrdless of auto or Manual.

Just a further quick question, is it best to have a n Auto?

Many Thanks

Mat

Not 100% but mine is 02 and is £294 or there abouts

Manual and auto tax are the same mate im sure of that.

Ive never owned an auto so I coulnt really compare, but the auto will use a tad more fuel.

IMO an auto box is wasted on that car< you really need a manual to feel its benefits.

Not 100% but mine is 02 and is £294 or there abouts

Manual and auto tax are the same mate im sure of that.

Ive never owned an auto so I coulnt really compare, but the auto will use a tad more fuel.

IMO an auto box is wasted on that car< you really need a manual to feel its benefits.

Agreed. But............

I have indeed drove that exact car. A Y-Reg 330Ci Vert Auto. If you want to throw the car around and have some fun, get a manual tran. If you like cruising with enough power under your right foot to make your passenger's wee a little, go for Auto.

Completely down to your driving style.

It not having an LSD, limits what you can do with your manual transmission bare in mind...

Daz

Hi all

Just a few more questions

Firstly is it worth sourcing a 330 with xenon headlights? Can they be a problem, and I'm guessing costly

to replace.

Secondly is it easy to recognise if the BMW has the Harman Kardon stereo.

Cheers

Mat

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links