E60 M5 Problems

meanm5

Hi guys.

As title suggests - picked up my Monster from BMW dealers (won't mention which just yet), covered 21 miles, got home parked up. Came back after an hour later to set up home lights and nav etc, went to start the car and red cog appeared on DIS stating transmission failure and limited acceleration etc. Then the message disappeared. Checked the idrive for faults and nothing came up - then to my surprise the oil level was at minimum! Shocking as BMW are supposed to be meticulous in prepping their used cars. Phoned the sales exec who sold the car to me and he apologised and said that he'd arrange for recovery and car to be picked up with courtesy car en route. I'll update as events unfold. Car has 2 year BMW warranty.

Unbelievable service whoever this poo dealer is, i Can understand the transmission warning light indicaticating a possible fault but How can you get the oil level wrong - good job you didnt floor it otherwise could have popped this beast anyway its got the warranty so no worries there.

I'm going to let the outcome unfold before I start pointing the finger at BMW.

It's a used BMW M5 therefore, it's going to of been driven HARD for obvious reasons (Who doesn't buy an M5 and not give it some thump) so anything could of happened and I'm sure BMW are not going to let you go Car-less

Keep us posted matey and let us know if there is anything we can do to advise/help

Daz

update - M5 has been shipped off to their 'special' service center. Dealer has provided a loan car; 320d touring 62 plate. Not bad for an estate I must say. 50.1 mpg vs 8.9mpg lol!

Have spoken directly with service deputy head and listed all the problems.

Awaiting response...

BTW: Before I bought this particular M5 I checked out a lot of cars - mostly BMW's, but also RS6's, Mercs, etc. Out of all these monsters the M5 is king (in my eyes). Hence, I went down the bargain bucket route of checking cars from ebay and autotrader etc etc....what can I say, nearly all cars I viewed sub 20k were a pile of dog doo.

which is why I went with the dealer option, slight premium but managed 2 year warranty, 1 yr tax and full tank of fuel. And best of all, previous owner was a 65 year old bald, grey haired gentleman with a heart condition hence why he traded the M5 in. That tells me he didn't head for the ring...

Gotta have the warranty on a machine like the m5, some of them are falling down to 15grand with slightly high miles but the bills to sort these cheaper versions will go so big that you might aswell have paid that bit xtra and found a used approved machine with the added benefit of a warranty.

Check this beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=21wjhsG3RO8

Update: Right, Approved Used Car Manager called me yesterday evening to provide the news....clutch and flywheel all need replacing as well as a couple of other bits - which is why the car had a slight judder and red cog as well as a very slight whine from the gearbox when changing gear at low speed. The previous owner was an old man who lived in the City (London), so the car spent most of its 28k miles in stop start traffic, and I recall checking the saved addresses on the Nav idrive and the previous owner had his home address which was in the center of town as well his work address...Liverpool Street EC1 postcode. No wonder the clutch etc has been stressed - all due to London traffic!

£2055 is the bill and the dealers paying for it (note: NOT warranty claim). Result! :D

Car should be ready next week, Tuesday afternoon, (a bit ambitious on the repair time, but they are sure it doesn't take long to do a clutch job). Parts have all been ordered.

I should also add the rest of the conversation with the dealer manager, I asked why they are doing this, i.e. paying for the repair cost of over £2k when they have already spent £3k on prep work incl 2 year warranty and 1 yr tax, where is the profit in the car for them?

Which is when he so sadly replied " there isn't any" - he went on to say that they don't always makes a profit from every car, with some cars they have to swallow the bills if this kind of thing happens due to BMW's high prep standards and commitment to customer service - I think he knew that I could have thrown the car back in their face as I only had it for a day after collecting it. I guess it proves wise to buy from an AUC dealer as opposed to dodgy back street car salesman who's selling the motor for 5k less that dealer price. Probably end up costing you £10K to make it right, not to mention the agro, hassle and stress involved!

And to be fair, this dealership is a great example of good quality customer service - I did say to the dealer manager that I'd be back in 2/3 yrs and buy a brand new F10 M5 from him :)

Oh well it is Christmas after all... :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Very good service(although I can understand why you were annoyed)

At a guess they will be claiming back from the warranty company,but they fear it will be a struggle so have just paid for the repairs to keep the customer happy and will have the battle out of sight.

I must say the BMW dealer in Northampton and the Isle Of Man are fantastic, I honestly cannot praise them enough

• 1 year later...

update - M5 has been shipped off to their 'special' service center. Dealer has provided a loan car; 320d touring 62 plate. Not bad for an estate I must say. 50.1 mpg vs 8.9mpg lol!

Have spoken directly with service deputy head and listed all the problems.

Awaiting response...

BTW: Before I bought this particular M5 I checked out a lot of cars - mostly BMW's, but also RS6's, Mercs, etc. Out of all these monsters the M5 is king (in my eyes). Hence, I went down the bargain bucket route of checking cars from ebay and autotrader etc etc....what can I say, nearly all cars I viewed sub 20k were a pile of dog doo.

which is why I went with the dealer option, slight premium but managed 2 year warranty, 1 yr tax and full tank of fuel. And best of all, previous owner was a 65 year old bald, grey haired gentleman with a heart condition hence why he traded the M5 in. That tells me he didn't head for the ring...

I'm 55 and drive my M5 quite hard! I also have a heart condition!! Condition, history, history, history all important. The M5 is built to be driven so don't worry about how they are driven. The ones with good service history should be ok. I personally use an Independant because the local BMW dealer charges stupid prices and like most franchised garages use cheap labour. You just get charged for the privilege. My Independant looks at CBS and preventative servicing. At 30 k miles all fluids were changed on my beast.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links