Heater Problems

Wainzor

I have a prob with the heaters in my car,

First of all the they stopped blowing altogether, now they blow constantly unless I remove the blowers fuse on the car also the heating control won't change anything, other than the heat temperature so when the fuse is in it blows on its fastest setting, anyone have any ideas what it may be?

Cheers

Sounds like 1 of 2 things....1, the hedgehog resistor needs replacing or 2. The digital Climate control unit needs replacing (or the resistor inside it)...or both !!

If you havent got a digital climate control unit then its more than likely to be the hedgehog. If you HAVE got the climate unit then you can just replace the resistor inside it,they are prone to causing this problem.You can buy them plus the instructions from ebay and are easy to do,ive done mine before.

Sounds like 1 of 2 things....1, the hedgehog resistor needs replacing or 2. The digital Climate control unit needs replacing (or the resistor inside it)...or both !!

If you havent got a digital climate control unit then its more than likely to be the hedgehog. If you HAVE got the climate unit then you can just replace the resistor inside it,they are prone to causing this problem.You can buy them plus the instructions from ebay and are easy to do,ive done mine before.

+1 to the Dave-man

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers dude was the resistor got it sorted today, but found a number of other issues unfortunately and now need to replace the n/s lower arm, oh well cars will be cars, thanks again dude

Which resistor,I named 2,lol

Hedgehog resistor, just got more probs to sort though, sorted the abs and traction lights aswell but need a few wheel bearings a front lower arm aswell and all alloys to be matching lol on top of that I have worked out that I need roughly about 2500 to fix my mrs skyline aswell, so not a fun time for cars at the moment :( but oh well I still love em lol.

Hi guys, just stumbled upon this thread and wondering if i got got same heater problem.

Put car away in garage last night and it was working fine.

Came to the car today and the blower started really slowly, then stopped and is now not working at all. All the controls on the digital display seem ok. You can hear the flaps moving behind the dash as you adjust the temp and settings from floor to screen etc. Just no fan.

There seems to be a consensus that it is the "hedgehog" that is the lilkely cullprit. Does this sound likely and were is it on a 318i E36?

Cheers in advance.

John.

Right, here goes.

Took the scuttle cowel off and had a nosey around. I could not see any wires to unplug, nor could i work out how to remove the wiring and trunking box that spans the bulkhead. So I was not able to test the motor, but......

Whilst the covers were off, I turned on the ignition to make the flaps on the sides of the blower retract whilst in air-recirculate mode. As soon as i hit position 3 on the ignition, the blower sprang to life!

The controls seemed back to normal. So i put everything back together again and went out shopping. All the while the blower worked.

Coming back to the car after about an hour and half, and the blower had failed again. Within half a mile it started up and worked till i got home.

I have read on another forum that the hedgehog is suseptible to cold. Being that we've had a cold snap, is this just a coincedence?

I really can't afford to start shelling out for parts willy nilly and would appreciate as much help as i can get.

Thanks.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links