Tow Bar Help

Tempo120

Hey, I have a 1998 e36 323i and I want to put a towbar on it even thou I know it's not ideal for towing ! I'll only be towing around 300kg! Has anyone fitted or could offer me some advice on how to fit and where to find a suitable towbar! Would be huge help thx

E36's OEM towbars were made by either Westfalia or Brink , and had a detachable ball .

In the centre section of the diffuser is a trap-door you take out to reveal the female part

of the towkit , to which you clip in the male ball , and when not in use it's all hidden .

Westfalia and Brink are quite expensive , but you pay for their quality . When you retro-fit

them , there is no hole drilling etc needed , they fit existing holes etc .

I believe that Witter also make a good option , a bit cheaper but still good quality . However

you may need to drill holes .

If you want a cheaper option , then go for a fixed ball , I reckon they're 1/2 the price , but

obviously not as neat as you can see everything when not in use .

As far as fitting is concerned , if your not bad with spanners , it shudn't be too bad . Just

remove the rear apron and then most of it is accessible . I'm not too hot with electrics , but

as long as you take your time it's relatively straight forward . I fitted one on my E39 with help

from friend and it took us about 5 hours , but we weren't working flat out so I'm sure more

experienced will do it more quickly .

Hope that helps .

Chris

Thanks alot chris for the advice. I'm no stranger with spanners I'm a fitter so I'll figure it out! Thanks heaps

Witter are good towbars.

Ive bought one and fitted to the e46 we have and it was honestly simple!!! Everything fits perfect.

Their kits are very easy to use, and the only obstacleis making sure you line up the bumper again when refitting.

Take your time, and youll be fine. Oh and you have to cut a small portion under the bumper for the kits, as only the OEM ones dip enough

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links