Advice Needed..

Charlee

So I need my hand break shoes & track rod ends done. Bought all the parts from euros & phoned around garages for estimates. Now call me tight, but I am not paying £240 for something that can be done on a driveway! Therefore I'm gonna give it a go. So has anyone got any tips or advice that may make this job easier? Thanks!

Hi Charlee, never done either of these myself, had a full service on mine inc all belts and 2 x track rod ends for £160, the actual labour for the track rod ends was £20. The guy did say that the track rod ends were well seized and had to be heated up before removal. Had the tracking done today (4 weeks after the service) and one side was seized again and had to be heated again, so may not be a DIY job. Good luck either way

I think it's one bolt for the rod ends so hopefully I'll get it off. But thanks for the heads up! All I need a garage for will be handbrake cables and tracking once I've fitted the rod ends. I do love doing the work myself (with a little help!) as it allows me to learn more, but sometimes it can be more hassle than its worth!

Guest Mister Dabsy

Parking-brake shoes are a piece of piss, the cables may be a bigger issue as the live above the heat-shield over the exhaust(s)/PropShaft !!

As for the Ball-joints - Lift the front using the crossmember as your jack point and lay her on some axle-stands (for your safety)... Then get stuck in Girl ;)

Hey Char,

As Jack-Spannerboy said, handbrake feeding is a pain but CAN be done so yeah, get stuck in. Track rod ends are a b*tch on your car, I promise you. The rod end is held on by one nut that feeds up onto a threaded bar that squeezes the bar together. They are always rusted to heck. I often need plenty of penetrating lubricant and a blow torch to heat it up. Don't forget to mark where the previous track rod ends are on the track rod!

After the track rod ends are installed, get her to any tyre gaff who supports laser wheel alignment/tracking. £30 should cover that.

If you get stuck, get some pics up! and as the big man says, get um up in the guide section :D

Daz

Hmm, I'm doubting the rods now Darren as I have no way of heating them up!

You don't NEED to heat them up but it does help. They are notoriously difficult on the E36 to the point where tyre houses have been known to charge more to do tracking JUST because it's the dreaded E36. for some reason, they really do rust on there. It's satisfying when you complete the job though ^^

If you need help, get some pics up of exactly where you are stuck and people who have done this job can give you the best advice! and as before, you have my number

Daz

• 2 weeks later...

I've just brought drilled and vent discs for front and rear brakes on my 2001 3 series coupe.I've done the front with no real problems but when i came to the rear i realised that the rear discs on my car where'nt vent which means the caliper housing bracket won't fit over the new discs.Is there any way i can get to fit the new discs without buying new calipers i.e can you just change the caliper housing bracket?

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links