Queries On 2007 Mini Cooper S Automatic Hatchback.

Hi,

I had the recent use of a Mini Cooper as a courtesy car while my own BMW (but non Mini) car was in for a check up. I fell in love and decided to buy one. I couldnt afford the 2012 Cooper so did a bit of research and looked for a 2007 Cooper, Cooper S or Cooper (S) convertible with an automatic gear box and with a very good spec.

I've placed a deposit on a (new shape - R56) 2007 Mini Cooper S Automatic Hatchback with 46,000 miles, Full Service History and is being sold with a 3 month warranty, that covers engine, gearbox, electrics.

On talking with the dealership (non BMW) I queried the timing chain, due to reading reviews on the timing chains and in regard of the mileage and they have booked the car in for itheir ususal ndependent safety and health inspection check along with replacement of chain tensioner modification replacement .

Being a novice to the Mini, as its all straightforward when liking/loving the look inside and out, but not knowledgable on the mechanics/electrics, parts etc, I would appreciate those of you with experience of the Mini Cooper S to help give further insight into some querires/questions please?

1. What are the common problems/issues associated with this model (2007 on)?

2. I havent the handbook to hand as yet, but what are the service intervals (and do they differ on the automatic)?

3. Oil top up(s) in between servicing (if any) and what make/ mix. Any other top ups in between servicing?

4. Would changing the 17" alloys and run flats to 16" with non run flats improve handling, performance, lessen the hard ride etc? What make of tyres (sizes and if low profiles) to get if going for non flats? Would this be classed as a modification (i.e. changing from 17's and non flats) to inform the insurance company?

5. What are the tyre pressures (front and rear)?

6. Are the R56's prone to cold starts and if so what to look out and do? Would the timing chain tensioner put paid to this? Will the timing chain ever have to be changed (eg. every 50,000 miles)?

7. Fuel economy (town and motorway)?

8. Tramlining - information please?

Many thanks for looking/reading.

Best wishes

Hello there and welcome to the mini side of the forum. I tend to go on another forum for most of my mini related questions as it is a mini specific forum. 17" down to 16" seems to be the trend at the moment, and deffinately junk the run flats. For spirited driving, most people tend to go for either team dynamics wheels as they are pretty light, or wheels made by a company called rota. Again, these wheels are nice and light. The reason behind choosing lightweight wheels is that the weight reduction improves the handling a lot. Most people tend to go for a tyre within either 205/50/16, or 215/45/16. Again, with ditching the run flats, a tyre like the Federal 595 RS-R you will get a more forgiving ride, with plenty of grip, and no an excellent tyre for grip in the wet. When going with non run flat tyres, this gives you a feeling of a softer ride, which then means you can slip on a lovely set of coilover suspension and lower the car to improve the handling even more. If I can recommend you one place to have your mini worked on, it will be Minicraft down in Sussex. They charge a lot less per hour labour than anywhere I know, they run a 480BHP R53 mini which is their old Time Attack car, and also run a 300BHP R56 mini in this years Time Attack series, so they certainly know what they are talking about with regards to minis. Any more questions, p.m. Me.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links