Info On The 728I E38

Hi guys!

Well the 320Cd plan flew out the window as the car is taking forever to be ready and I was still after an E38 anyway. Absolutely committed to getting one now as I adore the possibilty of having a 7 show car for next year!

Would like to know some info such as:

Price of Tax

MPG rating

List of options I should look for

Weak points

The rest is fairly straight forward really!

I would like a blsck, silver or grey one but I don't mind a dark blue I guess.

Plans for it are more or less the same as my E36!

Thanks in advance

Jas

Guest Mister Dabsy

Tax is £118 for six mth as long as it is pre 2002 !

MPG - Bad.... Don't expect alot for a two ton cruiser...

Weak points - The obvious pixel issue and front suspension bushes.

Otherwise a fantastic car, try to aquire an X/Y plate facelift model with com pack, if you can drop on the "Sport" model then you will never buy another car !!

Cheers Dabsy! I'm fairly light footed with the throttle and don't do much more than 5 miles a day so that's not so much of an issue. I am on the look out for a Sport but I'd be happy enough for a plain old colour coded one! I'm looking at X/Y registered cars, also a few 51 plates around!

Suspension won't be too much of an issue - I'll be putting coilovers on it at some point this year so will take a look at the bushes int he mean while - have also heard about the dead pixels thing and will keep an eye out for that on test drives.

Is there a way to put an aftermarket stereo in or is it just the Business Stereo and the 6CD changer?

Good luck with the purchase of the 'old man pimps' car mate :) look forward to seeing it :)

Cheers mate you'll be seeing it by March at the latest - Dad gets to keep my car after we sell his and all we need to do now is find one! Then I can start throwing money at it bearing in mind this will be my major project - I've wanted this shape 7 since the Transporter and Tomorrow Never Dies. Then the whole stance game came into play and I wanted a beautifully specced comfortable car to waft along in on the inside with the ability to turn heads on the out! This is going to be big and expensive, luckily I'll be saving a sod load of money as I work about a mile TOPS from my house and will be working absolutely mental hours to get this car well into show car status but it will be used all day, every day!

Cheers Dabsy! I'm fairly light footed with the throttle and don't do much more than 5 miles a day so that's not so much of an issue. I am on the look out for a Sport but I'd be happy enough for a plain old colour coded one! I'm looking at X/Y registered cars, also a few 51 plates around!

Suspension won't be too much of an issue - I'll be putting coilovers on it at some point this year so will take a look at the bushes int he mean while - have also heard about the dead pixels thing and will keep an eye out for that on test drives.

Is there a way to put an aftermarket stereo in or is it just the Business Stereo and the 6CD changer?

You can chuck an after market stereo in once you aquire the face plate (like my E39 had to have). Dabs mentioned his after an original business one a while back and willing to swap a DVD jobbie.... speak to him

Not sure about the radio/stereo swap as the late E38's usually have either the 4:3 or 16:9 (widescreen) head units, but you might like to take a look at these two sites

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e39a.php

http://www.car-vision.co.uk/bmw-navi-dvd/3278-bmw-7-series-replacement-dvd-gps-multimedia-system-1994-2003-.html

the first one is a replacement for E39's but could probably fit the E38, the second is stated as a E38 replacement, both have touch screens and single cd/dvd slot plus a ton of other nice techy bits.

my old 728 used to return about 18 mpg around town and 29 mpg on a long run

my latest aquisition, the 1999 740 returns about 16 mpg around town and 27 mpg on the motorways but I do drive a little right footed! I am sure I could get about 33 mpg if I used the cruise control and kept a bit closer to 70 mph.

so if economy is not a major issue then go BIG and you'll never look back, the 4.4 is one hell of a motor compared to the 2.8 and its great fun just knowing that it wont complain one little bit when you plant your right foot and that slight V8 rumble when you do it will bring a smile to your face every time :) guaranteed!

I'm not a fan of silver cars, there are some lovely blue cars about, but thats down to personal preference

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a 728i guys! It's a Y reg in Titan Silver with non colour coding and it's my new project car! Just gotta save up for the insurance within the next three months...

Wheres the Pics then Jas..

Im jealous too..

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links