Blue Smoke On First Start Up

X500 RGS

Hi, at last got round to posting my question.

On first start up i am getting a slight rough run, like a missfire if it was a petrol engine, then a large cloud of blue smoke. I am letting the preheat go out before starting and the motor turns over 4 to 5 times before starting. The smoke does not smell of oil or a water / antifreez. more like an semi burnt diesel smell.

As i say this only happens on first statup, the vehicle runs as normal at all other times with no warning lights / messages

Any ideas most welcome, thanks.

Robert

Hi, at last got round to posting my question.

On first start up i am getting a slight rough run, like a missfire if it was a petrol engine, then a large cloud of blue smoke. I am letting the preheat go out before starting and the motor turns over 4 to 5 times before starting. The smoke does not smell of oil or a water / antifreez. more like an semi burnt diesel smell.

As i say this only happens on first statup, the vehicle runs as normal at all other times with no warning lights / messages

Any ideas most welcome, thanks.

Robert

If blue smoke is not Oil, what could it be?

You been checking your oil level regularly?

Hi Darren.

Yes have been checking oil level and it is spot on, she has done 80,000 with full Beema service history, and as i say runs great at all other times. Was wondering if i have glow plug or leaking injector problem.

Robert

Hi, think I have found solution to the blue smoke issue. Had a diagnostic done and this showed no faults to the glow plugs BUT did show up a problem with the battery, getting old like me!!. New battery installed and wow no blue smoke. It would appear that the extra cranking required to start the BM first thing was ' fooding ' the chambers with to much diesel, then when it did fire it just ejected it out as semi burn. So maybe a lesson to learn not to jump to conclusions before logical thought.

cheers fae bonny Scotland

Robert

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links