Cutting Paintwork

Guest DazH

Hey guys,

I have 24 year old paint work on my car but has no rust and just looks a little scratched (typical swirl marks). How would I go about machine polishing/cutting it? Never done it before but I have seen fantastic results. My paintwork isn't faded or anything so I thought I'd give this a go.

What type of, Angle Grinder, angle grinder 'bits/discs', Pads, polishes/cutting solutions, sandpaper, etc, etc will I need?

The technique I can develop by watching vids on youtube, its just collecting the apparatus that I have trouble with. I plan to take all the trim off whilst I do it so, big operation :)

Cheers,

Daz

Found this vid to demonstrate how to use 3M stuff. His obviously not chatting rubbish as the results speak for themselves but, is there anything anyone can add to this?

Part one:

Part two:

Cheers,

Daz

I take it no one has done it before. Well... If it goes well you can pay me at the next meet to work my magik ;) DC Adapter from the ciggy lighter, angle grinder and a boot fulla compound :P

Daz

Guest Mister Dabsy

Be careful Daz, I think the angle grinder may spin to fast and if you catch the trims(rubber) it could "score" them beyond recovery !!

Be careful Daz, I think the angle grinder may spin to fast and if you catch the trims(rubber) it could "score" them beyond recovery !!

Dad's grinder is variable speed one ;) lowest setting... Should do the trick eh Daz?

you seen those vids on youtube of people who take SANDERS to their car and take a layer off!? :o When I get home (currently stealing work's Internets ;)) I'll post one up

Daz

could say ive done this before lol

im a painter so do it every day and with a award under me belt to it goes to show i no what to do.

ideally you need a DA or rotary polisher, always start off with a polish with the least cut in and work up if need be.

just cause that fella got good results on a video doesnt mean you will. its not as easy as it looks and takes alot of practise and usually alot of mistakes happen along the way, but thats how you learn.

could say ive done this before lol

im a painter so do it every day and with a award under me belt to it goes to show i no what to do.

ideally you need a DA or rotary polisher, always start off with a polish with the least cut in and work up if need be.

just cause that fella got good results on a video doesnt mean you will. its not as easy as it looks and takes alot of practise and usually alot of mistakes happen along the way, but thats how you learn.

Thats cool :) Your a car painter? good too know

I think I'll give it a go bud and if I screw it up, so be it :) I'll learn. Your BM looks great, lika mirror!!

Daz

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links