Dump Valve And Re Mapping

BearOnTour

hey i am new to this site i have recentley purchased a bmw 1 series 118d and was wondering if there are any suitable

dump valves on the market for this car i have ordered a k&n 57i induction kit which will arrive soon . And i am also thinking about

having a stage one re map to boost the bhp from 143 to 175 has anyone done any of this before as i would like to know more about it

before i go ahead with the modification

thanks

Guest Mister Dabsy

Wow, that's a big jump on the re-map... Best advice on the dump valve is to ask whoever is doing the re-map, as it may influence the new settings ;)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I Have re-mapped my 120D automatic using Bluefin from Superchips. BHP increased from 177 to 221 but the best bit is the increase in torque from 350nm to 453nm. If you use the extra for pleasure, you will drink diesel, but a light right foot gives over 50mpg average, and the power is always there when you need it. You can also return the settings to original if you want but the result will make you change back quickly!!! Hope I'm not too late for you.

• 2 months later...

I'd be interested in knowing where this went? As i've just bought a 118d and am also looking at getting in re-mapped. I saw somebody else in the forum quoted a jump to 195bhp but i imagine thats a bit far fetched? Any advice or links thatll help appreciated.

DML

post-4495-0-88438300-1341417558_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

wouldnt worry too much about chasing figures as you will feel the difference aferwords particularly in torque as mentioned, 20-40 hp is very realistic but the torque will be fantastic ;)

dont know about the dump valve stuff though... i wouldnt put a DV on my 135i ( just dont think bmw's suit a bus coming to a halt noise LOL! ) no offence but i think that would sound even more out of place on a diesel 1er

just my six pence tho lol

wouldnt worry too much about chasing figures as you will feel the difference aferwords particularly in torque as mentioned, 20-40 hp is very realistic but the torque will be fantastic ;)

dont know about the dump valve stuff though... i wouldnt put a DV on my 135i ( just dont think bmw's suit a bus coming to a halt noise LOL! ) no offence but i think that would sound even more out of place on a diesel 1er

just my six pence tho lol

Just to clear this thread up a little bit regarding the BOV

Diesels can not benefit from a BOV. Returning the intake to atmospheric pressure assists petrol engines as it stops the boost from blowing back towards the turbo slowing it down therefore effecting the entire engine performance by increasing back pressure.

A Diesel does not have a butterfly valve in its intake. The diesel engine takes the air it requires unlike a petrol engine where YOU limit it via a throttle body. The pressure from it's turbo remains a constant and the amount of boost used equals the amount of boost created by the turbo. Interrupting the pressure inside the intake will (I can only imagine) make gear changes sloppy

Remapping a Diesel makes millions of sense :)

Hope this helps

Daz

• 1 month later...

As for the dumpvalve if u do decide on one make it a good one and the right one!! iv made mistakes and lost money buying the right bov but not had the right spring!! alot differ on tension due to boost pressure and can leak i had this prob with my rs turbo and wrx it gave me alot of greif and didnt find out what it was untill i found out in a jap mag, imo turbo flutter is much better than blow off!! unsure if u get this on diesels regarding what daz was saying? thats some mental torque increase wish i had gome with a 330 diesel rather than petrol!! if it were me i get forced induction bigger intercooler and poss bigger turbo exhaust then look at remap with the increase from just a remap this should snap your neck lol

Guest Mister Dabsy

Agreement with all of the above... A "Dump-Valve" (or Blow-Off-Valve), just gives throttle response as it purges un-needed air pressures and tries to eliminate "Turbo-Lag"... BUT, should always be considered before a remap, as fitting one afterwards could affect the work already done via the remap !

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links