3 Series Differences

Hi all,

Having recently found out my fiance and me are expecting our first baby (due January 2012), I'm looking for a more economical replacement for my MKII Ford Focus RS.

At a current average of 25 mpg, I'm hoping I can halve my fuel consumption by switching to a 3 series diesel. But by going for an M-Sport, I won't have to halve the performance/fun!

Having done some initial sniffing around, I think I'll be looking for something like a 2009 320/325. What I'm not so sure about is the difference in variants. I need help in deciding whether the extra 10 or so bhp and a couple of hundredths of a second 0-60 time from the 325d is worth sacrificing around 10mpg over the 320d. Can anyone tell me the diffference in models other than the fact it's a 3.0 litre as opposed to a 2.0 litre? If the 325d is capable of better gains through a re-map or chip, I could be tempted to go down that route.

Also, can anyone tell me the difference in the Highline models? I'm assuming this is like an extras pack. But what extras would I get if I went for this?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice. I can see me becoming quite a regular on this forum! :D

Cheers,

Steve

I think you'd be better off with the 320 mate, you won't notice any performance difference really but it'll be cheaper to run and insure, don't know about the other things mate but I'm sure someone will either that or Google it.

Ok....I've done a bit of hunting around.

320d = 0-60 7.5 sec, 60mpg

325d = 0-60 6.9 sec, 49mpg

330d = 0-60 6.0 sec, 49mpg

Based on those figures, I think the 325 would be best for me. Obviously the 330 is a wee bit quicker off the mark and the same mpg, but the only ones I've found under £25k have been around 40,000+ miles. For that price I could get a 320 with less than half that mileage.

So, research done. Now all I need to do is wait until I can bring myself to part with my beloved RS!

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links