Bmw 3 Series Key

lee.leggett

Well im sure this has been asked before, but i would like to get another key for my car, either for the new owner or for me if the car is kept... As i seem to leave cars keys all over the place, tescos garage, spar, ex wifes :) lol last one was a joke...

I have seen uncut keys for sale, can this be cut and used ? also can i buy another uncut key and have it progamed ? what does this cost? Can i used a newer flip key and not the std 3 buttone one i have ???

Guest Mister Dabsy

You can re-program a key directly to the car, luke...

Obviously, the original key would start you off, but its a combination of one key in to ign and press the other key buttons in a certain sequence etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Don't attempt to swap to a more modern flick key. I've tried today and its caused me a real headache I swaped all the gubins into the new flick key case and for some reason the car wouldn't start and now also the car now won't unlock off the original fob or open the boot either

I've found out now why the car wouldn't start. When you put the gubins into the flick key case, the transponder chip is too far away from the ignition switch so it won't read the key. There is a place on the end of the flick key case to put the transponder chip but I don't know what would happen if I take it off the circuit board. If anyone knows if it's possible to remove the chip and it will still work let me know cus this flick key has cost me 14 quid and it's now sitting in my tool box empty and useless

I've found out now why the car wouldn't start. When you put the gubins into the flick key case, the transponder chip is too far away from the ignition switch so it won't read the key. There is a place on the end of the flick key case to put the transponder chip but I don't know what would happen if I take it off the circuit board. If anyone knows if it's possible to remove the chip and it will still work let me know cus this flick key has cost me 14 quid and it's now sitting in my tool box empty and useless

Thanks for that... Saved me trying to get to the bottom of that one....

I've messed about with it for ages and it may be possible to do. What you need to do is take the transponder chip off the circuit board, unwrap the copper coil wire around it. There is a slot on the front if the flick key case to put the transponder. You then need to replace the rechargeable battery with a normal battery then reprogramme the remote so the remote central locking works again. I've ordered a new diamond key for my car from an indy so when that one is working I'll try the above and let you know if it works.

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links