X5 Starting Problems

alpacanick

Hi

I have an intermittent starting problem, sometimes it starts sometimes it won’t you can drive it a 100 miles or so with no problems. then it won’t start.

It does not matter whether the engine is hot or cold, leave it a while and try again and off it goes.

BMW said it was a glow plug relay they fitted a new one, took it home failed again, next up was glow plugs, a new set fitted, no difference.

My BMW is a semi auto diesel with 100,000 on the clock, Does anyone have any suggestions please.

Nick

sounds like the same problem with mine at the moment , figured it could be the thermostat.

mine starts fine as normal, but the temp gauge goes into the red then into the cold an keeps doing it, if you stop the car with it in hot are cold it struggles to start. if you stop it when the gauge is in the middle it starts perfectly fine.

hopefully some one else may no more

either way let us no how you get on

Does the car actually turn over or is it dead on the turn of the key?

If it does nothing when turning the key then it could be the solenoid that detects if the car is in park or not (i forget the exact name)I had this on another automatic car i had a few years ago.

Does the car actually turn over or is it dead on the turn of the key?

If it does nothing when turning the key then it could be the solenoid that detects if the car is in park or not (i forget the exact name)I had this on another automatic car i had a few years ago.

No it is completely dead thanks worth a try.

Nick

bit of a wierd one to me this. must be a dodgy sensor somewere.

i take it bmw plugged it into there diagnostic machine? if its saying its one problem it could be just the start and you end up going thru everything that one thing does until the problem is fixed, if you get me.

hmmm from the earlier posts it does sound like the gearbox park sensor or a power fault somewhere down the line

If the car does NOT turn over or anything when you turn the key then its nothing serious down the line. I'm guessing all the usual lights come up on the dash and the radio starts when you turn the key?

If it is the parking sensor it won't show a fult when you diagnose it...because it is classed as user error if the car is out of park upon turnover and as far as i know it has no error code.

I would check the battery terminals, give them a good wiggle to check for play or dodgy connections (take them off and check for battery fuzz too) after a while some batteries get fuzz under the terminals and don't connect properly extreme example below....

carbattery.jpg

Other than that my money is on park gearbox sensor

hope that helps

Latest Deals

BMW Official Store for genuine BMW parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links